So! I finally pieced ye old 3a back together and took it for a spin. I have about a half a thousand quirks and/or minor problems to iron out. In the end I have one serious problem I was hoping the peeps on the 3a page may be able to help me out on. The transmission refuses to shift from 3rd back to 2nd gear. From a stop shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd it shifts wonderfully. But, if I try to shift back down to 2nd from 3rd I either cannot get it in at all (two hands pushing at the same time) or it bangs pretty loudly.
Here is the history and what I have checked thus far- When the jeep was rescued the gearbox was a ball of rust. I purchased a complete Novak gear set. So besides the case everything was new. I removed the shifter assembly and looked performed a preliminary inspection. The blocking ring on the second gear moves rather easily while the 3rd gear synchro seems not necessarily bound up but, it has significant drag.
I did perform a clutch drag test and it the clutch does not seem to be the interfering.
I plan on removing the tranny on Friday and rebuilding it. For �just in case� purposes I ordered a new synchro set from Walck�s along with the necessary gaskets. My question is this- besides looking for a bur on the ring/gear set what else should I look at?
Thank you in advance for your help.