The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Axle bearing retainer plate  (Read 1388 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Axle bearing retainer plate
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:46:30 PM »
I'm looking at my "Parts List" book (for CJ-2A and 3A).  Specifically Figure 41 on page 81, showing the rear axle (semi floating).

I've got a part not shown in the figure! In Moses Ludel's Rebuilders Manual, he appears to refer to this as a bearing retainer.

It looks like the shims (Part numbers 640971-640974), except for its thickness (approximately 0.15").

Am I blind, or is this missing from the Parts List diagram?  (Is it part # 940970 listed in group 22-05?)

I guess the real thing I need to know is where it goes.  (Mea Culpa--I didn't take enough notes/photos while disassembling!)  I am assuming it goes inboard of the backing plate--with the shims.  That's what it seems in Ludel's book, and I think it's what makes sense.

Thanks,

-Paul

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Axle bearing retainer plate
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »
Yes, there is a bearing retainer in there. I can't remember if it goes agains the axle tube, then the shims and then the backing plate or if it is tube, shims, retainer, backing plate. I'll have to look at mine tomorrow.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Axle bearing retainer plate
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:11:18 PM »
On mine it's tube, shims then retainer plate, brake backing plate......

Aren't the shims there to set the end play, and isn't the end play determined by the distance from the bearing to the retainer plate? So the shims would move the retainer away from the bearing, increasing end play...

And, if I remember right, you must have both axles installed to set the end play..I went round and round trying to do it one axle at a time...

Tim posted a great picture on this thread:

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1367517992
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:15:54 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Axle bearing retainer plate
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:04:47 AM »
You also have to start with equal shims on both sides to center the spacer block in the ring gear assembly. You measure the end play with a dial indicator on the end of the axle shaft and the base mounted on the backing plate. First you slap the end of the axle shaft with a dead blow hammer and put the dial indicator plunger on the end of the axle shaft and then pull and push the axle and read the end play. The end play should be .003" to .007". You may have to buy a shim kit to get the right end play.