The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: crossmember reinforce piece  (Read 1654 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline malcomstrenko

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 16
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
crossmember reinforce piece
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »

Walck has piece to reinforce inside of crossmember. Description says it's for PTO equipped.
I will reinstall the PTO I got with this Jeep. I don't expect to do a lot of hay baling, but I'd like
to stay "correct". Shall I call Carl?

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: crossmember reinforce piece
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »
Malcom,
I'll tell ya, I'm not sure what part you're talking about.  I might if my Willys had a rear PTO.  If you have a PTO and there is a piece that reinforces the cross member, then by all means you should have it.  It may affect spacing and even proper performance.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: crossmember reinforce piece
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
I think Classic sells it as well, If you are actually going to use the PTO it will help take some load off the rear crossmember for ya. Kind of a pain to install it. It is a tight fit.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: crossmember reinforce piece
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »
I didn't put it in. I don't see what it does besides trapping rust/moisture between the two pieces. Like Bill said, I might be helpful if you are actually going to do work with a PTO.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline duffer

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Just old
    • View Profile
Re: crossmember reinforce piece
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
As Nate said, that piece is only exceeded by the tub hat sections for rust-out potential.  If you don't need it for the PTO or some other loading on the rear cross member like a swing out tire carrier, I would leave it out.  It was not a good solution.
48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR

John, Bozeman, MT

Offline malcomstrenko

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 16
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: crossmember reinforce piece
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:04:55 PM »
Gnome and Duffer, thx for the comments. Thinking I'll spend the $80+- on other stuff