Before I began my restoration, my steering was so sloppy I had to begin turning the steering wheel today, to make the corner tomorrow. After I rebuilt the old Ross box, and steering column, as well as steering knuckles and bearings, I began the steering rod componets. But before I began I measured center to center between tires. I also saved all the tie rods and related steering parts. When I began to reassemble with new steering parts, I measured each old part and matched its length to the new. Also counted threads too, as a back up. When I reassembly was completed, I had the original center to center measurement between tires I started with. I had already shimmed the king pin bearings until I got 15 to 17 Lbs. (use a digital fish scale) per wheel of drag. I ended up with 32 lbs total. I have about 500- 600 miles on my frame up rebuild and I have no wander, no shimmy, and I can actually let go of the steering wheel and the old girl goes straight down the road. Take your time. I really enjoyed my restoration. Nice to know that I can actually make a planned corner without saying a prayer first. God was definitely my co-pilot before I began! He is still my co-pilot, but not nearly as white knuckled as He was before. Enjoy!
Jim