The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Fuel pressure regulator installation question  (Read 5419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jeffbo1

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Fuel pressure regulator installation question
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
I'm looking to install a Filt-O-Reg pressure regulator/filter on my fuel feed line somewhere after the stock fuel pump and the Carb. I am running a Solex single barrel carb and apparently it is receiving too much pressure from the pump and running rich. Any ideas on where and how to mount the Filt-O-Reg? I don't think it would be too safe to mount i right in front of the carb and have iot live above the exhaust manifold. The Filt-O-Reg has a glass bowl surrounding te filter part below the actual regulator part....I have thought about mounting it to the left fender and then run a line to the carb from there....many thanks

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pressure regulator installation question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
Jeff,

I run on a Solex also. �I learned from 'aboyandhisdog' �(Tom Fitch) that there is one other thing to consider if you are running rich. �You can change the main jet on your Solex. �I believe it's the only jet you can change. �It's very easy to change.

Tom may chime in on this, but I followed his recommendation. �I changed the jet from Solex stock 127.5 jet to a 112.5 jet. �$5.20 each from:

 http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=8_269_2851

Tom and I live at a similar altitude �(Colorado) and the 112.5 works well to reduce a rich fuel mixture here. �You may have to buy a couple different size jets better suited for your altitude. �The 127.5 just delivers more fuel than you typically need.

This was one of the best recommendations I have received at this site. �I run with no regulator and the Willys doesn't smell as sweat anymore.

Tim

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pressure regulator installation question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Tim's right about using the correct main jet for your altitude and you will achieve decent fuel economy if you find the right one. �I think you still need to limit the fuel pressure to the carburetor though to 1 1/2 - 2 psi max. so as to not flood. �I believe the Carter's were designed to run on 2-3 psi delivered by the pump, which COULD be too high for the Solex. �(Tim lives a charmed life so it is no surprise to me that he is good-to-go without a pressure regulator. ;D) � I have one of those inexpensive dial style regulators which I mounted in the steel line directly before a filter which attaches to the carb. �Heat seems to be of no consequence - I think it is high up enough that it isn't a factor.
Tom


Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pressure regulator installation question
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:12 PM »
Hey Tom,

Not sure it's a charmed life...maybe it's a charmed Willys. ::) �I have and also tried the dial style regulator, but the minute I put it on, dialed it to 2, and started it up, the thing was hunting, burping, begging for more fuel. �I dialed it all the way to 5 and then it would run okay. �I figured, what's the point? �So, I took it off. �

I must say, I love the way this thing runs on that 112.5 jet. �Thanks again, Tom.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline jeffbo1

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pressure regulator installation question
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
All great advise guys, really appreciate it....yeah mine runs nicely but rich and burps and spits out soot at the tail pipe at idle and when i really step on it, she dies back for a few seconds then catches back up....likely too much fuel, not enough air etc....many thanks!

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pressure regulator installation question
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:05:06 AM »
We initially had problems with our carter blasting fuel all over the place, and we stacked a couple of spacers behind the pump to try and tone it down. For now the carter has been deemed a little too worn out to operate with the standard tune up, so the jeep runs a solex. Maybe the spacers lowered the pressure enough to work well for the solex? Seems to run pretty clean at this point.

Our Packard had a dial-a-pressure regulator and it eventually sprang a leak :o �Not so cool. I would be happier if it wasn't mounted near hot stuff so at least if it leaked it didn't spill on the hot engine. That might be a consideration for a regulator IMO.

-Jesse
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:06:08 AM by Jesse »
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline jeffbo1

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pressure regulator installation question
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
Thanks much Jesse, yeah I mounted the Filt-o-Reg on the jeep just ahead of the solex carb.....started her up and it began leaking.....that and the glass bowl on the regulator was like a fraction of an inch away from the head.....i could just see that cracking and like you said, gas all over a hot engine.....i think i will try rejetting and see what happens with that....many thanks!

Jeff