The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Owls Head trip  (Read 4240 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Owls Head trip
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »
Dad (Jeff_M) and I successfully completed a 162 mile round trip from my house to the Owls Head Transportation Museum yesterday. They were holding their annual "Truck & Tractor" meet which is always a good show. It's mostly older pick-ups and bigger Mack-type trucks etc but with a few flatfender Jeeps and other oddities sprinkled in the mix. And as with all fair weather shows, the museum was flying a good deal of its collection of vintage aircraft, which is always a treat so see and hear.

We took the 3A with the Bantam T3-C and the ratty old M38 with the Willys MB-T. Since the M38 has no OD our mini-caravan was limited to the typical 40-45mph but pulling over occasionally to discharge the line of cars that would stack up behind us was a fairly painless routine.

Especially rewarding was that we drove two old Jeeps 160+ miles and suffered virtually no mechanical issues. One stuck hand throttle adjustment and one timing adjustment was all that was needed to keep everything moving along as it should.

A long day for sure but I can't really think of a better was to spend one.

I didn't get many pics but here's Dad leading the way through downtown Rockland.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:11:16 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Jeff_M

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
The stuck hand throttle was only because I was using it for cruise control.� �;)� �The show was great, but getting there was at least half the fun.� I've always felt that's it a privilege when I get the opportunity to commandeer an old vehicle.� Last year I had the use of a 1905 Old Town sailing canoe and I was nothing short of humbled thinking of the history behind this vessel.� The Jeeps are the same--if only they could talk!�

BTW, Ryan's M38--which he refers to here as "ratty"-- is a great driver.� He's done a lot of work to the front end and running gear and even though it might not look like much actually drives better than his pretty boy 3A--which is pretty nice in its own right.� The M bombs right up to 50 mph without OD--if it had OD it would probably go about 70.�

We had a blast.� The Jeeps sure generated a lot of interest--everyone seems to have their own Jeep story.� Smiles were the order of the day.� �:) :) :) :) :)


I didn't get many photos either, but here's one:


« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:43:43 AM by Jeff_M »

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
Quote
actually drives better than his pretty boy 3A

There is an 89 year old WWII vet who lives not too far away and he swears that the M38 is the best driving of the flat fender jeeps...

Maybe it's that boxed frame?

I looked at the Owls Head web site....looks like a really neat place to visit....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »
I don't know what the difference is but both Jeeps have had most or all of the steering and axle end parts rebuilt and/or replaced and the M38 is much tighter. It does have a softer ride too but it has 7 x 16 tires and Crown spring as opposed to the Omix spring and smaller tires on the 3A.

And yes, Owls Head is an outstanding place to visit. It makes you feel like Jeeps aren't such money pits after all. At least I'm not into vintage aeroplanes.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
I must protest.  The lack of photo documentation is a bit disturbing. ;)

Sounds like a fun day.  I would have said, "It looks like a fun day.", but I will refer you back to my first thought.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Jeff_M

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:18:22 AM »
Tim, you are absolutely correct.  I've uploaded some photos to photobucket, and after I finish my chores and refamiliarize myself with the process, I'll post more pics.  I willingly accept forty lashes with (fill in the blank).

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Looking forward to them.  Thanks Jeff.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:42:33 PM »
Quote
At least I'm not into vintage aeroplanes

Ryan if you keep poking around in those old barns and shops you are liable to end up with an old airplane sooner than you think!

Be sure to post pictures! ;D
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Jeff_M

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
[size=12][size=14]OK, here are some pics:

Here's a '68 Ford Galaxie that was completely immaculate.  First year for the 302.


A '37 (I think) Mack Jr. pickup.� I understand these are extremely rare.  It was so pristine I didn't dare lift the hood to see if it had the stock engine.



See that Cub Cadet off to the right?� They were asking $2800 for it!



'47 Chrysler Town and Country.  Immaculate.



1909 (or thereabouts) Stanley Steamer



Late 50's International pickup.  Flathead six, three on the tree.



A pair of Macks



A pair of B models.� The red one was my personal show favorite.� Just about completely stock with quadraplex (5x4) transmission.



A brute of an Oshkosh.� The main blade has a cutting edge on both the top and bottom.� When the operator wants to use the blade on the other side, the entire blade rotates (large end of the blade up) to the other side.� Fascinating setup.�



A new style military Jeep, the ones that are "prone to rollover" (you guys know what this is)



Ryan's Jeeps



Pitcairn Mailwing.� Spectacular looks and sound.� The red plane behind it is an early 20's Fokker powered by a V12 Rolls Royce manufactured around 1918 (!).� They inserted a hand crank in the side of the Rolls to start it.� Wicked awesome sound.


[/size]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:00:07 PM by Jeff_M »

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
I believe that to be an M151, affectionately known as the "Mutt". 

Nice show, where is Owls head?
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Jeff_M

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
Re: Owls Head trip
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
Quote
I believe that to be an M151, affectionately known as the "Mutt".�

Nice show, where is Owls head?


Midcoast Maine, just outside Rockland.  Thanks for enlightening me.   ;)