The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Invitation to join us on the trails in Southern UT  (Read 3264 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Invitation to join us on the trails in Southern UT
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:39 PM »
A few of the 3A Page members have mentioned a desire to come to Southern Utah and join me on some trails.  The first to do that was Carl (carlsjeep).  You may have seen his posts indicating something like that is in the works.  He recently mentioned finding a great buy on a trailer which should now enable him to get here clear from Kentucky.  A couple others have expressed the same desire. Since the idea started with Carl, and the best time to come for him is in the fall, I suggest we do it sometime between September 15 and October 7.  That's normally after the summer heat has subsided and the gnats have died off and before the fall rains start.  If another time is better for some I'm certainly open to arranging more than one trail ride.  Let me know.

I've observed that the majority of the 3A Page members are in the East or along the West Coast.  I know that means a lot of travel for most of you.  But, if that's something you would like to plan for, I would like to get a response from you so that we can start making more definite plans.  

From the pics I have posted of our local rides you can see that we usually have wives and kids along.  All are welcome.  Feel free to ask questions.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to join us on the trails in Souther
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »
Where exactly in Southern Utah? I used to live in Page...I agree on the time of year for a run, it is great out there then! Hope it happens, and hope I can join you, I never know with work.. Also gotta get my Pintojeep 3A a litttle more reliable  for the trail.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to join us on the trails in Souther
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Calvin,  Where is Utah????  Isn't that kinda like Northern Arizona?  Count me in.  I'll leave shortly, and maybe by Sept. I'll find it. LOL.  Jim
PS, suppose to get my block and  crank back Friday, so maybe it'll be back on the road next week.
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to join us on the trails in Souther
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
F Bill �
It's Blanding. �Located in the Four Corners area. �From here we can see into Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. �I was in Page just yesterday. �Where do you live now?

jamesr
You should have that Jeep running (again) in order to join us in good style. �Hope you have better luck this time. �Your experience with your engine scares me some. �Before I installed my 2nd rebuilt engine I had need to pull the pan and the rear main cap in order to replace a bad crank flange bolt. �I saw that it had the neoprene rear main seal. �At that time I thought nothing of it. �Well, now I have over 1,000 miles on it so I don't believe I will experience what you did. �Just lucky, I guess. �
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:49:19 AM by calvinhunt »
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to join us on the trails in Souther
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
Calvin, with 1000 miles on it you are fine.  Most have shown failure in the first 30 minutes or less.  Oversize crank journal (but within Willys tolerance) + undersized (defective) neoprene seal = failure.  Prevent the problem and always use rope seals. Now my rods and main bearing journals are .030 under. But hey, its not a destroked small block that turns 10,000 RPM is it?  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to join us on the trails in Souther
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
You're about 900 miles from me.. I am near Abilene, tx in a little town called Coleman. I used to drive taxi from Page airport to the Kayenta area and the surrounding touristy areas when I lived in Page.. One time we got to bring the dailies from a movie shoot to the airport every day.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to join us on the trails in Souther
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:44:44 PM »
We'd be glad to have you join us if you're able to make the trip.  Come on back and breathe some of the good ol' Northern Arizona/Southern Utah air again.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah