The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Preble County 1950 CJ3a  (Read 4062 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PrebleJeep

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
Hello all, This jeep is the first jeep that anyone in my family has owned and is greatly welcomed. This jeep adventure started out as an idea to work on an old tractor with my father, but then I found this jeep for sale on craiglist and we figured that they are basically the same so why not.
We got this jeep this past summer and have been working on it ever since we got it. Hope to get it all done during this coming summer. At first we wanted to just get it running and then drive it for a while before tearing into it, but then decided to go ahead and go full bore. We did get to drive it in the back yard before taking it apart, but it was interesting because we had no brakes! All the gears worked well and so did the 4x4, so that is good.
Right now we've got it taken apart down to the frame and are almost ready to start putting it back together. The tub though has the typical rust on most of it, but that repair will come after we are done with a running chassis.
I added some pictures of the jeep when we first got it and then after a little bit of work we did to it. I've got the rest of the pictures still on my phone that I'll have to upload later.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:19:06 PM »
I like that top/enclosure....do you think it was made by a previous owner?

The rear side window looks like it may have come from a Willys Wagon.....

The rest looks a lot like my 3a when I started.....

Looks like a great project! Many of the small things are there like shift knobs, the pedals look good, a wiper motor and gauges..

The steering wheel looks pretty good too...start soaking it now with Aerokroil or similar....they are often difficult to remove!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:23:50 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »
I like it! What is the serial number of your new CJ-3A?
Bob W

Offline PrebleJeep

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »
I think that this top was made by a company that had previously owned it called S&S Oil that was located in Auburn, Indiana. The reason I think this is because when we got the jeep, there was a past registration paper from the 60s that had S&S Oil as the owners. Their maintenance team probably made it if I assume. It's a nice top but we don't really want to keep it, that's why I put it down in the for sale section.
And I'm a couple steps ahead of you on the steering wheel, we didn't want to mess with it so we kept it attached to the body when we took the tub off, here is the jeep after we took the tub off.

Offline PrebleJeep

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »
The body is not too great, the big cutout by the tool box was because there was an extra heater there in addition to the harrison heater under the passenger dash.

Offline PrebleJeep

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »
The Serial is 56412.

Offline PrebleJeep

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
Interesting thing about this jeep is how it was very much made for the winter. The extra heater that was added in the middle of the seats, the harrison heater under the dash, the drain holes on the side of the jeep were sealed off and something that I had never seen before was that there was a defroster installed. I noticed this when I found another small heater core right behind the dash in the middle and also the jeep came with two pieces to direct the air to the windshield. I assume there only needs to be a hose to each vent piece. I circled where the small heater core is on the dash.

Offline 64CJ5

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 76
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
Looks like a good place to start.  Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

64CJ5
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preble County 1950 CJ3a
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 08:19:30 PM »
Quote
Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

X2!!! 
Bob W