The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - jp4ever

Pages: [1] 2
1
Thanks to all who replied! can I hijack my own thread?
We did not worry about pulling the oil pan just yet, instead we re-wired the starting system... minus the generator and amp. gauge

New solenoid, then to key switch, then to push button ,starter. It worked! we added some k1 and transmission fluid drained oil and it looked a lot better.

This was all after daughter got it into 3rd gear in the yard, She is pretty happy and I am two.

Drive a little fix a little... working so far... still a long way to go thanks again jp4ever fun heck yes!

2
Ryan_M Thanks once again! We got an advance auto gasket so nothing extra. The walcks order should be here tomorrow hopefully the oil pan gasket will come with the extra gasket.

What turned out to be a jeep that ran when parked, 15 yrs ago. is turning into quite a project.

I am starting to think we will have to go big or go home. I hope we can just fix one thing at a time, drive a little then get on to the next learning experience without making more work along the way.

My daughter was losing interest after four months of not getting it started, then it started! one drive down the yard and back... hooked again   

It is a jeep thing! thankx jp

3
Thank you, the pics help a lot. I have read about the rear main drain tube but had no idea what it looked like.
 
Is the oil pickup, missing a bolt closest to the outside of the motor? Will the oil pick up just ''fall off''?  The main reason for pulling the pan is to see what it looks like inside, after two short runs 5 minutes or less We get chocolate milk oil, when draining.

I have had antifreeze in the oil before and it does not look the same, plus the under side of dipstick is dry.

athawkk11 removing the snow plow bracket wont be easy (what is) it is all one piece 3 bolts per side and I forget how many up top, it has been on for a lot of years!

Thank you both, very much, now it needs to warm up and my daughter needs to get her but over here and learn something. 

4
I want to remove my oil pan and clean out any, all gunk and make sure I don't have any spare parts just floating around.

How much room do I need to drop it? I have a snow plow bracket directly below it, that will limit the down travel to an inch or so. I am hoping that is enough room to get the pan out, but most likely not.

The bracket runs from frame rail to frame rail (like a cross member support) just about where the oil drain plug is. Thankx  jp4ever

5
Chassis, brakes and suspension. / Re: Shock Absorbers
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:02:20 PM »
We got ours from Walcks, Easter sale. BUT be ready! those old cotter keys dont come out without a fight! I had to drill out 3 and still have one shock to go.

I just have the pilot holes drilled and will need to put shocks, washer on and then see what i need to do. good luck!

6
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »
Ryan M, sorry, I just put 2 and 2 together Duh, I have read most of your 3a project and didn't realize you had a plow also.

All I have currently is dads jp and an electric motor made by donell (plus the bracket installed on jeep). The plow is still at dads and I have no idea on what the controls were/are or where the reservoir is at.

I also have a Harrison heater that is round in a square frame that was mounted on the drivers side firewall, but no duckwork of any kind. He also had the 'standard' Harrison heater on the passenger side.

As I learn more I hope to share more instead of just asking for help.. Thanks to you and athawk11 an everyone else on the cj3a page

7
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: 1950 CJ3A in Chicago (Version 2)
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Owen, wishing you and your dad the best of luck with your willys.

Yours is in a lot better shape then mine, but a project is just that. Enjoy the quality time with dad, and a heated garage is NICE!  jp4ever

8
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: jp4evers 3a
« on: January 01, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
well we made some progress today and got this out..motor still works I hope the pics come through, still new to posting stuff.

9
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: jp4evers 3a
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
Bob W
Thank you very much, I will give that a try.
jp

10
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: jp4evers 3a
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:13:30 PM »
Well, we finally got old Nellie started! I have a gear driven all state motor and even tho it would seem that number one should be at bottom right it is at bottom left (dads terminology). I still cannot get the distributor  to move, I have joined cj 2a and searched here and there I can not find a way to get the distributor free any help would be appreciated.

Daughter is coming over on new years so, weather permitting will see what Nellie does when we put it in gear :) thanks to all who read this jp4ever

11
Your CJ-3A Project / jp4evers 3a
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »
Hello, to all the welcomes.. Thanks!

Tim I am not sure what exactly I have! my dad bought two jeeps and made one, a long time ago. just recently he told me the motor was a rebuilt one from the sears, robuck ,company.

It had not been started in years, turns over fine though. A three week wait while the starter got rebuilt, then a new coil clean the points, gas drained new plugs...the whole nine yards! Now I am waiting on a 6 volt solenoid, I hope to have it running within a week or two, but its a jeep thing so it will prolly be more like a month. once I know I have good compression,(still need to check) spark and fuel all at the right time, I will let everyone know when it starts. thanks jp4ever

I need to add my 23 yr old daughter is helping me, so I try to wait until she can be here...to help :) Quality time!

12
Once You've Joined / Re: Hello from Ohio
« on: December 29, 2016, 06:41:38 PM »
Howdy welcome to a great forum, lots of good information here. I use it alot.
Family jeeps can span generation gaps better than anything else I can think of, enjoy!

13
Once You've Joined / Re: new from ohio
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:53:24 PM »
Bob W, that number is from the upper, larger tag (barley visible in the 2nd pic) The second number from the smaller lower tag is..
willys
cj3a body
14032
willys overland motors inc Toledo ohio usa
 They are both galvanized steel not brass, the "4x4" instruction plate on the inside, passenger side is steel also.

There is a number on the tailgate hinge ,lower left but it will need some cleaning and better eyes than mine!

To BJG, glad you like the willys....silly girl

14
Once You've Joined / Re: new from ohio
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »
athawk11, in the time I have had it, I know I have a sears rebuilt motor with no numbers, except for block casting numbers. The distributor tag is gone along with the motor "tag"

What I do have is a body tag id. 14695 and a block casting of 641087 1 w13a   
 
Sorry for the 4 month delay. jp


15
Once You've Joined / Re: new from ohio
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
As requested!

Pages: [1] 2