The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Stich

Pages: [1] 2
1
Quote
Will you be having the flywheel surfaced? If you are this far along and will be replacing the clutch plate then I would get the flywheel surfaced, and the fellow who does the surfacing can probably take care of the pilot bushing....

But, you probably can take the flywheel off and push the old bushing out with a socket that is just a bit smaller in diameter than the bushing..a little heat on the flywheel would help.

Then put the new bushing in the freezer for a while to shrink it a little, warm the flywheel and push/tap the bushing in with a socket and brass hammer. If you buff the bore where the bushing goes with scotchbrite it may slide in more easily...


I just went through this myself. Pack bread into the hole and as stated, use a socket and tap it in until the bushing starts to push out. Keep filling hole with more bread, repeat. just don't eat the bread after.   :o

2
I have to replace my rear crossmember also. Can you safely cut off the old one while attached to the tub or do you need to support the frame first?

3
Had to give up on my install as well and have the glass shop do it. The trick was to install the rubber onto the frame first and then install the glass into the rubber. Go figure! I always installed rubber onto glass first when I put glass in VW's
I know next time.

4
About to install a new windshield and seal in my Willys. I have conflicting answers on which side the lock seal goes on.There was no windshield when I got it so I have no reference.  So, I'll ask you professionals here. Inside or outside?
Thanks
Jack

5
Here's what I'm doing. I bought a stencil from Kaiser Willys. I'm tracing the outline out on a new piece of clean white paper and scanning it in on my printer. My wife has a Boss Kut CnC cutter for her scrap booking projects and I bought a roll of black stick on vinyl transfer. I'll have her cut out the Willys logo on this and now I have the original logo to apply to my Willys. I figure it will last for around three years or so before I have to replace them but that's not too bad. I'll let you know how it works out when done. I'm not ready to apply them yet as the willys isn't painted. If it works, I may be able to help out my fellow members if you want.
Jack

6
That looks beautiful. Is that a spot light hole on the top of the fender?

7
You need more liquid enhancement  ;)  But really the best stuff I've found is called PB Penetrating Catalyst. I use it on all my airplane parts and it's way better than WD 40. I get mine ay my local Napa Auto Parts.

8
+1 on the Mustang radiator. I bought an aluminum one off Ebay with an electric fan. Had to also get the relay for it. Works real good and doesn't rob power from engine. Bolts up close to the grill for added clearance.

9
Cool, thanks

10
Never did find a good swap for my budget anyway. I ended up dropping the column down a little from the dash and that helped. I'd still like to put in a tilt one though. I may be interested in your column. Is it for a manual or auto? is the key on the column? What do you think shipping may be to Pioneer CA 95666?
Thanks
Jack

11
Hey all, new member here. I bought a '49 3A with a lot of mods already done to it. I'm not a purist so that's OK with me. I wanted something that was a "better" driver and had more comforts but still has the Willys look. Anyway, it's got a Buick V6 with power steering and the guy had put in a column out of a '71 Ford PU. It's way to tall and very uncomfortable. My question is what is an easy swap, preferably with tilt that can be done fairly cheap? Do I look for later CJ 5s maybe?
Thanks
Jack

12
I can buy a reman for about $1100 for the short block. Didn't want to spend the money but may not have a choice.  :-/

13
Well I finally got the exhaust installed on my Willys (Buick V6) so I got a chance to hear it run. First time since I picked it up. I didn't know what to expect as it's been sitting for a number of years when I got it. I guess I should have expected it but wish it wasn't true. It's got a lot of knocking going on in the mid to lower end.  :' ( I think it might be piston slap but hard to tell right now. So now I'm on the hunt for another Buick 231 V6 to either swap out or get a re-manufactured short block and just bit the bullet. I could do the rebuild myself but time is a factor for me, and don't know how much I can actually save. Looking through Craigslist just in case but that doesn't seem likely. Anyone know of a good running 231 V6 for sale in No. CA, let me know.
Jack

14
Quote

Good luck! �Something about welding always puts me in a better mood! :)

Says the guy that knows how to weld  ;)

15
Good stuff!  ;)
Thanks

Pages: [1] 2