The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Macgraham

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
1
I got a new switch from Ron at G503 and it leaked around the pressed metal and plastic, not on the threads. Got one at a local Car Quest that worked.

2
Anything with Omix-Ada I try to avoid now. I learned some the hard way and learned not to be in too much of a hurry. You might find a parts Jeep could be a big help. There are many places to look and some are way better than others. :o :-/

3
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / oil lines
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Just a heads up for all guys who have purchased oil lines from Kaiser Willys. The line that runs from the filter to the block behind the fuel pump came apart dumping most of the oil before I caught it. When I removed the line I pulled on the other end and it also came apart easily. I called KW and they are still selling these same oil lines and gave me attitude!! In my opinion they are interested in you're money and not you're jeep project.I discovered that Walcks had the same problem when they used to sell these lines but they did something about it. They now have their lines made in the USA. I have ordered a set.The KW lines must be made offshore because the nuts are metric. I would hate to see anyone lose an engine or just a big oil bath like on my 3A.

4
I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. Thank you, Bob.

5
In my case I had about 200 miles on my transmission since I overhauled it. All was new except 2nd gear and the housing(case). I put in GL-5 oil. All was working well but I just decided to drain it to renew the oil after a break in period. I too struck gold but changed to GL-1 and decided not to worry about it since it still runs fine. It was good in 1949 so it should be fine now. No jumping out of gear or noises so I'm happy. :) :) :)

6
 :-/ :oI called a Valvoline oil tech. in Ashland, Ky. and he was well aware of the problem with our transmissions as well as others such as early Fiats. Gl1 is the oil that he recommended. Another question I have is related to the brass spindle bushing in the Dana 25 front housing. Would these also be damaged by the GL-5 oil? Does it affect copper? You're thoughts appreciated.  :-? :-[

7
For a while this morning I thought I was gonna have to invent some potion to go in my gear boxes cause I was unable to find any GL-1. The Walmart website said they had a pail here in stock but I just got the blank stare when I got there.  Then on to CarQuest where they were helpful in finding the part number but couldn't order it even though they handle Valvoline, my turn to give the blank stare. Went to Napa who had told me over the phone that they had no GL-1 and couldn't get it. I gave them the part number which I verified by phoning Valvoline, and the pail should be in tomorrow. The Valvoline part no. 70044 is for a 5 gallon pail of 90wt GL-1. The rep I spoke with was well aware of the problems the GL4 and 5 lubes have caused in some vintage gearboxes.

8
I rebuilt it about a year ago. May have 2or3 hundred miles on it. Everything still works fine but I hope it will be ok. It has probably damaged the thrusts and blocking rings. :'(  I'm hoping not too much.

9
After reading all this about different oils I decided to drop the oil in my trans and t case. Not good!!! I was happily going along using the advice of some Valvoline rep. Well he was wrong and so was I to believe him, The oil looked like gold paint. I'll see if I can find some better stuff tomorrow. Hope it's not wrecked.



http://fluforum.italiancarclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1652

10
You'd be surprised how much heat that gap will help to get rid of on a hot summer day. Could help with the engine temp. Just a thought.

11
Thanks Tim, I have a top channel from KW and I was worried about it getting bent with the windshield resting on it. I guess if it is tied down well so it won't bounce it'll be ok. My 3A had no channel when I got it. :)

12
I am trying to locate the place to install my hood blocks. I have the side to side location cause I want them right above the support brackets underneath. I am having trouble figuring out the front to back. I would think the top channel on the windshield should not rest on the block and obviously not the glass. When I move the blocks out far enough to  miss the channel it is too close to the edge of the hood. :-/ :-/ :-/  Help!!!  Thanks

13
THE 1950 3A my Dad bought new had the 2a style button. I always thought the 3A had that style of horn button. The one I have now had the soft rubber which wouldn't last a season here in AZ. Now it has the small hard button which I think is much better as far as something that will last. :) The 1950 3A came from the factory with the small button so why is it often referred to as a 2A?.

14
Looks like the crud is heavy near the top of the oil tube. Maybe gasket issues with the dipstick cap and some blowby?

15
Might be a good idea to remove the oil filter element. If it has a metal cover, cut it and spread out the filter paper under a good light in a clean place. A magnifying glass may help but usually if something nasty is going on the metal will be easy to see. If it is clean, less concerns.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12