The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Kendog

Pages: [1] 2
1
No Gunslinger, however carb rebuild instruction is easily found on the web for setting your metering rod height, but new carb kits do not have this tool any longer. This takes the guesswork out of a critical setting.

2
Hi all. I recently manufactured a short run of brass Metering Rod Gauges for properly setting up your Carter WO carburetors.

They are all with Carl at Walck's 4WD, so please contact them at 610-852-3110 for pricing and available inventory.

I hope this is not a violation of this board, and helps many of you, thank you. Ken

3
It's time for a transmission and transfer case overhaul. Ugh.

My motor is running really well, so I hesitate to hoist the entire motor/transmission/trans case out of the front, instead dropping the trans out the bottom might be smarter.

What do you diy's do? What is the better way for a first timer?

5
Any recommendations for quality carb rebuild services? I hate to hire this stuff out as I've done many other machines/tractors, but time is limited and need to consider some things hired. Thank you, Ken

6
Also, ten years of crap and condensation on the bottom of the oil pan will be the first thing sucked up when you crank it over.

Do yourself a favor and drain the oil and stick your finger in the drain hole to determine if it feels muddy or just oily. If muddy, drop the pan and clean it first. If oily, stick fresh stuff in there and give the engine a try.

The excitement of hearing an old machine run can quickly come to an end when you hear bearings squeal for mercy.

7
Hi Bob, no I did not get to Ohio.

There is an Empire Tractor Club, and am a member. It is run by a very dedicated gent named Carl Hering in NY. Every year the Empires are featured at one location or another, but mine is mostly featured in my yard.

I did take it to a show this year and won for: 'Furthest Distance Traveled' category  ;D ;D ;D.

8
Hi Carl. It parades, attends tractor & car shows, and runs around the house. Most folks think it's a home-made cob-job. Tractors are not meant to get D-I-R-T-Y right?  ;D

9


Hi Willys fans, I just wanted to share a photo of one of my tractor restorations. It is a 1947 Empire Tractor / Model 88-90, equipped with the stock L134 Willys motor. These machines were constructed with WWII surplus parts, with battleship decking material for the floorboard. They were intended for export to help rebuild the world, but underperformed (compared to Ford tractors) and most orders were cancelled. This survivor was a mess when dragged home - but all is running fine these days.

This project fueled my passion to get a CJ2A/3A on the road, that is in the works now.


10
So I will plug them,,, and without wanting to sound lazy and info abusive,,, but I'd like to purchase two plugs before getting back to the Willys project,,, are those plugs a standard pipe thread/size or something unique? research suggests 3/8" Pipe.(?)

I will be not be getting to my project jeep or parts jeeps until the weekend to check for donor plugs, etc.

Thank you. Ken

11
Is there a final answer for the requirement of the bypass hose connecting the water pump to the back of the head if the truck does not have a heater? My truck does have it piped in by the PO, but I don't understand why.

12
Sure thing Gunslinger. Send me some details or photo to Ken@AUadv.com and we'll try to work something out. Ken

13
I will soon be rebuilding my noisy, sloppy transfer case and possibly replacing the clutch while I'm there. My neighbor (46CJ-2A) is a fan of completely pulling the motor and tranny out the front, then doing the service. I think that's wayyy overboard.

Option 1. Does anyone have instrux on the process to drop the tranny [I think it requires removing the x-member]?
Option 2. Does anyone have instrux on how to simply pull the TX case leaving the tranny in place?

Quite simple I imagine, but just doing homework before diving in. Thank you.

14
Those high-low horns are out of a willys truck, possibly a Jeepster, and usually bracketed together. I have a pair as well from a swamped truck, but could only revive one of the two. They do have a nice sound.

15
Next up is figuring out how to make my fuel gauge work. The truck had been converted to 12V by the PO, with the fuel unit not working, likely due to the voltage upgrade.

Presuming it's a 6V gauge, what 'step-down' resistor is used in-line to make it work? Or is it simply smarter to replace the sending unit and gauge with a 12V universal? NAPA was not sure what to specify/recommend.

Thank you, Ken

Pages: [1] 2