My Willys 3A and 3B Community
How To Join => Once You've Joined => Topic started by: DougK on January 27, 2015, 03:34:40 PM
-
Just wanted to say hello to the 3A board. I've been around Jeeps (mostly newer) for over 20 years. I acquired a '51 CJ3A back in 2003 and finally started to work on it last fall (family, house, work, blah, blah, blah). Then as luck would have it, I just found a '50 CJ3A with a perfect body and almost everything else fully intact. It still needs to be put back together and brought back to running shape, but that's my current project.
So I'll be poking around for advice as I go through the reconstruction. I also have some parts to offload since I was collecting to originally work on the '51 which I sold. So look for some of that shortly.
I've attached pictures, but don't know how high res I can go yet, so these might be smaller and lower res then you're used to.
-
.
Welcome aboard. That is a nice starting point!!
-
Welcome to the 3A Page. That tub looks good - almost too good (!). Do you have any history on it? I'd love to see some closer pics. I saw your motor for sale as well. Seems like there is good value there. Wish I lived a little closer.
Looking forward to watching your project come together.
-
For the motor that is up for grabs, I actually had it shipped to me originally in September 2014. So it might not be as expensive as you think, of course that is all relative I suppose.
For the vehicle, everything (including the entire body) is original. It was purchased from the original owner in 1954 and then stayed in one family for 60 years. The father gave it to his daughter and husband about 20 years ago. Due to them starting a business and family, it sat. It also sounds as if it had sat for close to another 20 years before that, but I'm not sure. One thing they did manage to do however was pull all of the body panels and tub which were then sandblasted and powder coated. So that is actually powder coat you are seeing in the pictures. Purists will complain since it's not an original paint color. I see it as no body work for me! He also power washed the frame, engine and drive train when the body was off. The thing almost looks as good as it did when it left the factory.
The only thing definitely missing was the seats. They told me that sometime during the last 20 years, they sent them out to be reupholstered. Unfortunately the guy that was doing the work boxed up his whole store one night (including the seats) and skipped town. At some point they picked up some used replacement seat frames, but they were for a 2A (I also have those seat frames for sale). I just recently acquired a set of used 3A seat frames, so one problem down. I probably should have asked here if anyone had a set, but a day late and dime short as always.
I was debating whether or not to refurbish it thoroughly or just get it back together and running again. I'm leaning towards the latter so that I can at least drive it a bit and then take my time rebuilding the driveline and engine. Time will tell. I'm actually going to stay in touch with the people I bought it from since the father (who is in his 90's now), would like to see it on the road once again.
Should be fun!
-
Welcome to the 3A. Your Willys looks great.
One refreshing thing we don't have here at the 3A is the "Purist" mentality. Don't get me wrong, we all love seeing a 3A in its purist form, but we all seem to appreciate a 3A in any form.
Good luck with your project. Keep us updated on your progress.
Tim
-
Great looking Jeep. I've never seen that top before. Do you know what brand it is? Aluminum. Fits nice. get it done, put it on a trailer and go Jeeping with us! There are some fun meets around the country. Driving them is what it's all about. John
-
Welcome to the forum, were practically neighbors, I'm in Lake Villa.
Glen
-
One refreshing thing we don't have here at the 3A is the "Purist" mentality.
Well said Tim...
Welcome Doug, Really nice looking 3A you have and I too like that top!
-
I'm not positive on the top. It is aluminum but the previous owner says that he thought it was homemade. I'm not saying there aren't people with that kind of skill level, but it really does look like some sort of production top. Two production tops it looks somewhat similar to are either the Porter & Reed Manufacturing top out of Kansas or the Carson Machine & Supply Company top out of Oklahoma. The vehicle came out of Montana, so I suppose it is possible. The door windows slide up and down versus a hand crank mechanism and they have working latches (no keys). They also swing up and over the fenders. The rear door has braces to hold it when open, but no latch to keep it closed. It mates with the tailgate to keep it closed. The entire inside is also lined with a rubberized undercoating material.
I originally had no plans on having a Willys with a hardtop, so I may part with it down the road. The same goes for the heat. It also has a Harrison heater for the passenger side with the original under dash four-position toggle switch. That's something I'll have to think about for a while. I like the idea of the top and heater from the standpoint of that's how I got it, but realistically I don't need it. Any winter driving will most likely be a quick trip to play in the snow for a bit. Ultimately this is going to be a fun cruise around town vehicle for the wife and I.
Time will tell.
Glen - Yeah, I'm not too far from the Volo Auto Museum. Once it warms up maybe you can stop by to see it in person.
-
Welcome Doug, sweet looking Jeep, looking forward to seeing your progress. You will find no lack of talent on this Forum, I have found this is my favorite place to visit.
The best part, lots of helpful people and there are no dumb questions.
-
. I like the idea of the top and heater from the standpoint of that's how I got it, but realistically I don't need it.
I have a Harrison Heater in my topless 3A. While it won't keep you warm in the middle of winter it can take the edge off on a cool summer night's drive home. It'll blow just enough heat around your legs on one of those nights when you are wearing shorts but wish you brought an extra pair of pants. Just my $0.02.
-
Welcome!
-
Welcome to the 3A page!