My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: SteveKfl on May 05, 2025, 09:21:30 AM

Title: DJ colum shifter replacement
Post by: SteveKfl on May 05, 2025, 09:21:30 AM
Can anyone tell me is there a spring on top of the DJ column-shift shaft that goes in first before the shaft?  Also, my shaft seems to be unable to get into the top far enough to align the bottom bracket
 to the mount hole on the steering shaft, even without a spring.  Suggestions?  It has been over ten years since I took it off and painted it, and noe so much "useful information" is "unaccessible" these days.
 
Thanks for any suggestions.
Title: Re: DJ colum shifter replacement
Post by: Rus Curtis on May 05, 2025, 03:31:00 PM
Steve,
I found this thread from PAPAC digging around in the old Tapatalk forum:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/dj3a-dispatcher-column-shift-repair-t4944.html

Some images are missing, others have that irritating "Photobucket" watermark thing right over the image.

What I did find interesting is the reference to the 2A forum listing jpet and lowenuf as resources. 

Title: Re: DJ colum shifter replacement
Post by: SteveKfl on May 06, 2025, 08:53:02 AM
Thanks Rus.  Yes I miss the old days of access to that site and original pics, and now others too.  If you noticed, I was involved back then with PapaC on the project.  Time has passed and I'm just now getting a chance to try to put things together again.  Also, BTW... I spoke with PapaC yesterday.  He couldn't remember the details either, and ironically both of our projects took a "stand still" at the same time due to MEDICAL ISSUES for BOTH of us.  He never finished his project either, it is still as it was 2014, just like mine.  I hope to change that status soon.
 
So, my "installation issue" turned out to be "too much paint" in the tight clearance cap on top of the shaft and also on my assembly's pivot pin.  Once the steering shaft was installed, I just couldn't get flexible enough to see the "issue".  I finally found the problem, and the "bias spring" too, and out of the Jeep it installs OK with paint removed.  Problem is, now with all of the single-handed trial and errors fittings, it has all gotten scratched up and needs to be re-finished, with more attention to the "clearances areas" to not repeat "my problem". 
 
Thanks for sharing, and your time to search out those sites.