My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Spacecrab on March 27, 2024, 10:51:25 AM

Title: Crankshaft Pulley Questions
Post by: Spacecrab on March 27, 2024, 10:51:25 AM
Hi guys!

So the other day I was driving my CJ3b without a care in the world when I noticed it was no longer charging and the temp was raising rapidly.

When I parked I found no Crankshaft Pulley!

I can only find a double pulley in my area, will that work on my originally single pulley 3b?

I have attached an image of the timing cover I have, it's the smooth raised style.

Also I have no key so I will have to get one made, does anyone have the rough dimensions, it has a half moon shape right?

Lastly, should there be a washer between the pulley and crankshaft nut?

Thank you for the help in advance,
Title: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Questions
Post by: Rus Curtis on March 27, 2024, 12:21:02 PM
The double should work.  That extra groove is for another belt for added equipment, i.e. hydraulic/governor, etc.

https://cj3b.info/Owners/Ittel53.html

If I may suggest, getting used original parts is a great option - and with something like this, perhaps better (the parts will fit).  Contact Harry Sheets on the key and single pulley:

http://www.midwestwillys.com/
Title: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Questions
Post by: Chuck W. on March 27, 2024, 03:00:43 PM
Key is a #9 woodruff, should be able to find at your local hardware or auto parts store. No washer between the nut and the pulley. I'd suggest 100-110 ft. lb torque for the pulley nut.