My Willys 3A and 3B Community

TECH FAQ SECTIONS => Engine compartment => Topic started by: Shark49 on July 19, 2022, 08:29:20 PM

Title: Internal Engine Clean
Post by: Shark49 on July 19, 2022, 08:29:20 PM
On my old Chevy 250 Inline 6, I periodically use the sea foam engine clean trick.  Warm the engine up, unhook vac line to carb from valve cover, and pour in sea foam slowly while engine still running until its all in there.  Let sit for 30 minutes, start it up and let it burn the carbon off the innards.   Works like a charm on the upper engine and valves IMHO.  Learned it from an old mechanic when I had my '69 Triumph GT6.

Is there a similar way people do this on a Flathead L134?  I suppose using an engine flush and changing the oil more often would be one way but not sure about the upper end since there isn't a vac line to use. My engine runs very solid with high compression and is probably a rebuild but not knowing much about it want to do something.

Thanks in advance.
-Nate
Title: Re: Internal Engine Clean
Post by: Shark49 on August 02, 2022, 06:10:05 AM
guess no-one  ;D
Title: Re: Internal Engine Clean
Post by: PercyUK on August 02, 2022, 12:24:56 PM
Hi Nate, I guess you could try going through the spark plugs. Pour something in and turn it by hand a few times. Leave it for a while then run it up?
Title: Re: Internal Engine Clean
Post by: Shark49 on August 04, 2022, 06:30:38 AM
Not sure.  The idea is to use vacuum to suck the fluid into the valve area to clean them.  I could simple pour it into the oil right before I'm ready for an oil change but that's not the same either.
Title: Re: Internal Engine Clean
Post by: Mark W. on August 04, 2022, 08:59:16 AM
Use the PCV line.