My Willys 3A and 3B Community
TECH FAQ SECTIONS => BODY and trim => Topic started by: Mytwojeeps2020 on May 09, 2022, 03:21:33 PM
-
Just wondering if anyone has a CJ painted Peacock Blue. According to the KW catalog, this paint was available from 1960-1962. I believe that's what I have, but would like to know if anyone out there has this color so I could take a peek at their Jeep. There is no color code tag on mine, at least if the only place they put them was on the firewall next to the VIN plate.
Thanks!
-
That's an interesting color!
https://cj3b.info/Paint2.html
-
"Interesting color" indeed. My '62 Dispatcher was Peacock Blue. Faded after years of Florida sun torture, the only way I could see the "original color" was under the transmission tunnel behind an undercoated spot. With that color-patch in mind, I looked for like-colored picture examples. Even different "color chip" sites show color variations (on the same monitor).
I think the 'why' we can't find any true examples and see so many variations, is apparently the green tint in the "Peacock Blue" fades out so when people "color match", they end up with more of a blue without the original amount of green in it. My faded "Peacock Blue" looked almost like 1963's "Sierra Blue", all primed over now. I wonder if that pigment change was on purpose from the factory to hold up better? I too would love to see an example of a full paint job of a true "Willys Peacock Blue". Good Luck.
-
Follow up... I found the attached pic of an "original condition Dispatcher in "Peacock Blue" in my data base. It is as close to what I saw on mine hidden spot from sun as I have found yet.
-
who sells original willys paint colors ? no luck locally :-[