My Willys 3A and 3B Community

TECH FAQ SECTIONS => Engine compartment => Topic started by: letsjeep on December 21, 2021, 05:45:28 AM

Title: F-134; engine block; cracks
Post by: letsjeep on December 21, 2021, 05:45:28 AM
Dear all,

actually I am working on an F134 with engine number OF 27124. I took it out of a 3B from 1954 but it seems to be not the original engine. The pistons are 0.040 os, rod bearings are 0.040 os, main bearings are 0.020 os. The exjaust valves have hardened seats, I do not think that this is stock at these engines. The block has several cracks, if I remember correct these blocks tend a little to crack at these plasces between exhaust 3 and 4. Also, the block was welded earlier. I added some pictures. At the moment I think the block is not worth the work/money with these cracks but I have no experience with the repair of cast iron blocks (like welding, lock and stitch ...) and these enginges are not that numerous here in Germany. So please feel free to express your opinion and thoughts, please share your experiences.
The 3B runs at the moment with an F134 from M38A1 from Swizerland. It is a nice little car making a lot of fun. Over the years we added Lockrights at both ends (no chance to get PowrLock here), an OD 25%, the Koenig winch with PTO is waiting to be installed - we will see if we can get the driveline from the PTO 41 to the winch... :o

Thanks for your helb  Bernd
Title: Re: F-134; engine block; cracks
Post by: oldtime on December 21, 2021, 08:58:02 AM
I fully agree with your assessment.
If there’s any way to get a better block then do so.
I prefer to keep the bores at .040 or less and bearings as close to standard as possible.
The cracks will likely continue even after repair.
Title: Re: F-134; engine block; cracks
Post by: letsjeep on December 23, 2021, 04:55:55 AM
Thanks Oldtime for your welcome knowledge. I will keep the parts but not invest time/Money. One day or another we will find a better engine for the old Willys.
Merry christmas and a happy new year to everybody. Stay healthy.

Bernd