My Willys 3A and 3B Community
TECH FAQ SECTIONS => EVERYTHING ELSE, General tips => Topic started by: Mytwojeeps2020 on February 26, 2021, 06:19:53 PM
-
Wow, I keep finding weird Jeep issues-and I’ve been around them for 50 years.
Today, I went to change the oil on my new-to-me 61’ CJ5. It’s been in the family since early December. The oil is clean, but I thought, what the heck, change it anyway.
I don’t know why I didn’t notice it before, but the inlet/outlet holes on the oil canister had been plugged by the PO!
I checked the oil for cleanliness before I bought it.
Why in heck would anyone plug the canister holes? I have all his old receipts, so he wasn’t afraid to spend money on it.
<insert grumpy face here>
-
That may have been the previous owners approach to try to improve the oil pressure.
-
Wow, I keep finding weird Jeep issues-and I’ve been around them for 50 years.
Today, I went to change the oil on my new-to-me 61’ CJ5. It’s been in the family since early December. The oil is clean, but I thought, what the heck, change it anyway.
I don’t know why I didn’t notice it before, but the inlet/outlet holes on the oil canister had been plugged by the PO!
I checked the oil for cleanliness before I bought it.
Why in heck would anyone plug the canister holes? I have all his old receipts, so he wasn’t afraid to spend money on it.
<insert grumpy face here>
It would also cut down on oil filter expenses.....
-
I never thought I’d ask this question, but, in your opinion, is it safe to run this thing without an oil filter? I know that filters were an option on many of the earlier engines.
My first impulse is to reinstall the lines. Joy...
-
Filters are cheap insurance against failure.
-
What holes ?
The inlet hole on the stand pipe that’s inside the canister ?
The outlet hole at the base of the canister ?
How were they plugged ?
Was there a filtering element inside the canister ?
-
Oldtime: My replies are in bold below. Thanks for your review!
What holes ? The holes that are plugged are the inlet and outlet plugs going into/from the oil filter canister. Also, a brass (I think its brass) plug has been inserted into the port near the timing chain; I can’t tell what type of plug was used beneath the fuel filter - I can feel it (I think), but I can’t see it.
The inlet hole on the stand pipe that’s inside the canister ? The standpipe is still in the canister, but like I said, it’s been plugged off from below the canister.
The outlet hole at the base of the canister ?
How were they plugged ? They appear to be brass plugs wrapped with Teflon tape.
Was there a filtering element inside the canister ? Yes. The canister had an old filter in it and both it and the canister were full of old (dirty) oil
PS: I’ve replaced the hose from the filter to the hole under the fuel pump before, but that was with a single-action fuel pump that I didn’t have to remove to get to the hole. I’m now working with a duel-action pump, and can’t see below it. Before I start tinkering with the fuel pump, can anyone post pics of what/where the crankcase oil plug is? Much appreciated!
-
Note: I had to log out and see the comments. Copied below for anyone else that can't see (so they don't have to log out, yada, yada, yada):
I never thought I’d ask this question, but, in your opinion, is it safe to run this thing without an oil filter? I know that filters were an option on many of the earlier engines.
My first impulse is to reinstall the lines. Joy...
Filters are cheap insurance against failure.
AGREED! Even a partial filter system would be beneficial. The timing gears wouldn't complain about the extra oil bath either!
What holes ?
The inlet hole on the stand pipe that’s inside the canister ?
The outlet hole at the base of the canister ?
How were they plugged ?
Was there a filtering element inside the canister ?
Oldtime: My replies are in bold below. Thanks for your review!
Quote from: oldtime on Today at 08:04:17 AM
What holes ? The holes that are plugged are the inlet and outlet plugs going into/from the oil filter canister. Also, a brass (I think its brass) plug has been inserted into the port near the timing chain; I can’t tell what type of plug was used beneath the fuel filter - I can feel it (I think), but I can’t see it.
The inlet hole on the stand pipe that’s inside the canister ? The standpipe is still in the canister, but like I said, it’s been plugged off from below the canister.
The outlet hole at the base of the canister ?
How were they plugged ? They appear to be brass plugs wrapped with Teflon tape.
Was there a filtering element inside the canister ? Yes. The canister had an old filter in it and both it and the canister were full of old (dirty) oil
PS: I’ve replaced the hose from the filter to the hole under the fuel pump before, but that was with a single-action fuel pump that I didn’t have to remove to get to the hole. I’m now working with a duel-action pump, and can’t see below it. Before I start tinkering with the fuel pump, can anyone post pics of what/where the crankcase oil plug is? Much appreciated!
Okay. Here are some easy pics to locate and post from the 3B Page:
Oil "Inlet" next to the radiator connection running behind the vacuum "T"
(https://cj3b.info/Photos/Owners/Wade/CurtisPhotos/VacuumLine.JPG)
Oil "Inlet" line as it curves behind the pump
(https://cj3b.info/Photos/Owners/Wade/CurtisPhotos/FuelPumpTop.JPG)
Another view of oil "Inlet" where it attaches to galley and runs up behind pump and towards cannister:
(https://cj3b.info/Photos/Military/Versleijen/VersleijenEngineLeft.JPG)
Hope this helps.
-
Rus, is that the oil port just below the fuel pump?
-
Yes!
After posting I found this. Shows the galley and path - to include that "Inlet" from below the pump up to the filter
https://cj3b.info/Tech/OilPressure.html
-
Excellent, Rus, thanks!
You’ve given me yet another chance to avoid expensive mechanics!
(Not to mention learning good things in the process!)
-
It appears to me that perhaps the hoses got old, cracked and blew out.
The hose ports were then plugged instead of finding the correct replacement hoses ???
-
Or someone fell prey to the old wives’ tale about the oil filter causing reduced oil pressure.
BW
-
Excellent, Rus, thanks!
You’ve given me yet another chance to avoid expensive mechanics!
(Not to mention learning good things in the process!)
Or someone fell prey to the old wives’ tale about the oil filter causing reduced oil pressure.
BW
Some weird things have been done in the past. IF you plan to replace the hoses to make the canister function again, I'm also sharing a couple of threads specific to my issues with this. Your jeep is a 1961 CJ5. I'm assuming an F-head engine. Look under the cannister to see if there's a 45* fitting. In the threads below, I show a long hose from Walck's that didn't work with my fitting. I later learned that his hose was designed to work without the fitting (straight connection from cannister to timing cover).
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/viewtopic.php?p=44894#p44894
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/oil-filter-inlet-tube-t2801.html
-
Will, do. Thanks! I’ll report back when I get it done. The parts were ordered this morning.
-
Ok, the oil canister hoses are in, and all is well with the world. Thanks, all!
The PO told me that the canister had been disconnected by the PPO over 20 years ago. The PO’s mechanic told him that there was no real reason to reconnect it, but to make sure he changed the oil regularly, which he did. The PO did not recall why his mechanic suggested this.
Rus: Yes, there is a 45* fitting underneath the canister. It had been plugged off. The new hose attached to that fitting and then went straight to the timing cover. I used a new brass fitting to connect that line to the timing cover. Both hoses, from KW, fit fine.
As to your last sentence: the earlier problem I had with my CJ6 throwing oil everywhere led to my replacing both canister hoses. There was no fitting below the canister, and those hoses are believed to have been original vintage. Again, both hoses from KW fit fine.