My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Gunslinger on March 10, 2018, 08:43:59 AM

Title: Spare Tire Carrier
Post by: Gunslinger on March 10, 2018, 08:43:59 AM
http://cj3b.info/Owners/Ogletree/TireCarrier.html

Found this on the 3B Tech page, pretty nice swing down spare tire carrier, looks easy to build.  I'm going to take a look at adding the Jerry Can to this modification.

Gun
Title: Re: Spare Tire Carrier
Post by: aboyandhisdog on March 10, 2018, 12:01:16 PM
Very similar to what I did:   https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Stromberg-Carlson/TR-2.html

2 of the 4 holes lined up but I had to drill the other 2 holes in the carrier.  The only other mod was to shim it out about an inch or so with a small piece of hardwood and some spacers from the hardware store for the bolts.  But I do like the idea of building a carrier for both the spare and a fuel can.  I thought about that but clearing the tail lights and turn signal lights just wasn't going to happen.
Title: Re: Spare Tire Carrier
Post by: Rus Curtis on March 10, 2018, 12:16:29 PM
I've seen several similar styles in the past and also found lots of discussion on the 2A Forum about rear brackets:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/spare-jerry-can-rack_topic40240.html

I personally like the idea of using existing braced points on the jeep and retaining access to the tailgate too!  Perhaps combining the best of several styles will help in your project.
Title: Re: Spare Tire Carrier
Post by: Gunslinger on March 10, 2018, 12:31:00 PM
Quote
Very similar to what I did:� �https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Stromberg-Carlson/TR-2.html

2 of the 4 holes lined up but I had to drill the other 2 holes in the carrier.� The only other mod was to shim it out about an inch or so with a small piece of hardwood and some spacers from the hardware store for the bolts.� But I do like the idea of building a carrier for both the spare and a fuel can.� I thought about that but clearing the tail lights and turn signal lights just wasn't going to happen.

Do you think this mount would work if it was horizontal, allowing it to swingout to the side rather than vertically?  What mods would you have to do to it to make it swing?
Title: Re: Spare Tire Carrier
Post by: aboyandhisdog on March 10, 2018, 01:22:16 PM
I'm certain a horizontal mount wouldn't work - just too much weight.  And it would be way too low unless you were to mount it on the tailgate.  There are swing-style spare mounts but I'm not sure if they would fit a flat fender or if they are available for a fuel  can and the spare.  Tumbleweed just built a beautiful rack that holds both - can't remember just where I saw it, but it had to be here or on the 2A.