My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: squidtone on May 17, 2017, 10:21:40 PM
-
I'm going through putting everything together in this ol' '50 Jeep and I'm a bit baffled on how the master cylinder cover plate was put on. Were there captive nuts in the tub for the fasteners to hold the plate on?
And secondly, my tub seems to have had only 3 holes for this plate. The plate has 5 holes. Did Willys economize by 1950 and only use 3 fasteners on the 5 hole plate?
Thanks!
-
I looked at some pictures and my 51 tub only had the three holes, yet the access cover has five....
I do not remember what i used to fasten the plate....maybe tinnerman clips?
-
Interesting.� I figured the extra holes were covered up at some point, but my 3A tub shows a similar 3-hole trait.� I added the additional holes and used #12 sheet screws to hold the plate in place in all 5 spots.
The 2A tubs I�ve messed with have caged 1/4-20 nuts in five spots.
3A tub�
(http://www.mywillyspics.com/images/2017/10/04/TubApril2011.md.jpg) (http://www.mywillyspics.com/image/VeMc)
You can sort of see the caged nuts here.� This is a 2A cowl area that was �joined/turned into� a 3A tub.
(http://www.mywillyspics.com/images/2017/10/04/20160609_184103.md.jpg) (http://www.mywillyspics.com/image/YEIe)
These are just observations.� I don't know what is "correct".
-
Thanks guys, I'm thinking the 3 hole thing is correct for the '3A. The bean counters probably saved a few pennies for that change from the 5 weldnuts on the '2A. 55, that's a good idea, i'll try those "U" clips/tinnerman with some sheet metal screws. The existing holes show no signs of sheet metal screws "threading" the holes, so I don't know how the fasteners stuck in there.
-
Use Slotted Sheet Metal Screws if you want it to look correct. Phillips head screws are easy to find but stick out like a sore thumb in a restore.
-
Hmmm...a quick perusal of my Kaiser Willys catalog shows the plate having 4 holes for the 2a and 3a. It shows the MB and GPW having 5 holes, and doesn't show one with 3 holes at all. My m38 tub has the 4 hole cover and the nuts are what I guess would be called "weld nuts" as they are a part of the tub and fasten with what I believe to be 1/4 inch bolts.