My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Austin on May 13, 2016, 11:13:05 AM

Title: Engine Stalling
Post by: Austin on May 13, 2016, 11:13:05 AM
Hello all,

I have been enjoying my 3a as much as the rainy weather will allow. I haven't really had any issues until recently. For the past week, when I am full throttle and come to a stop my engine is shutting off and will take a few cranks to restart. I have tried cleaning my carburetor and replacing my fuel filter. I also checked the points gap in my distributor. I don't imagine its really any thing complicated. I'm am thinking its a matter of adjusting the carburetor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Thanks,
Austin
Title: Re: Engine Stalling
Post by: scoutpilot on May 13, 2016, 12:07:38 PM
[size=12]What is your idle RPM set at?
[/size]
[/b]
Title: Re: Engine Stalling
Post by: Austin on May 13, 2016, 12:15:46 PM
That's a good question. I have never hooked a tach up to it. What should the idle RPM be?
Title: Re: Engine Stalling
Post by: Mytwojeeps2020 on August 16, 2022, 07:14:27 PM
Bringing this post up again…

For my ‘61 CJ5, is there a recommended idle RPM?

Right now, it’s at 1,000

It runs fine, I’m just wondering if it should be that high (my single wire alternator runs constantly).

Thanks!
Title: Re: Engine Stalling
Post by: scoutpilot on August 17, 2022, 05:05:55 AM
About 700 RPM for idle.
Title: Re: Engine Stalling
Post by: Mytwojeeps2020 on August 17, 2022, 08:33:51 AM
Great, thanks!