My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: JimVillers on March 26, 2016, 05:47:53 PM

Title: Grill Welt - Revisited
Post by: JimVillers on March 26, 2016, 05:47:53 PM
I have been studying up prior to installing the welt on my grill.� The 2012 thread is excellent http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1331271387/8. (the image is from the old thread, not mine)

My question is the top of the two wings that hold the radiator.� There are holes and it looks like something, maybe welting, should go there.� Does anything go in those holes?
Title: Re: Grill Welt - Revisited
Post by: Bob W on March 26, 2016, 07:21:46 PM
Nothing goes there on a CJ-3A.
Title: Re: Grill Welt - Revisited
Post by: Ryan_M on March 27, 2016, 07:40:54 AM
http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1358903433/6
Title: Re: Grill Welt - Revisited
Post by: JimVillers on April 08, 2016, 11:34:01 AM
I completed the welting on the front grill yesterday. 

I will pass along that a heated nail (red hot with a propane torch) makes a perfect hole easily and quickly.  I will also say that making the hole from the inside out (through the metal hole in the grill) gets the hole in the correct location every time.  I also held the welting in place with a plastic clamp.

A much easier job than I had envisioned.
Title: Re: Grill Welt - Revisited
Post by: Ryan_M on April 09, 2016, 07:19:38 AM
Quote
I will pass along that a heated nail (red hot with a propane torch) makes a perfect hole easily and quickly.

x2 - I will hold a nail in a pair of vice grips and heat with a torch. Using an old soldering iron works well too.