My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: JimVillers on March 20, 2016, 11:50:03 AM

Title: Dashboard Layout New Tub
Post by: JimVillers on March 20, 2016, 11:50:03 AM
I bought a new body and had it painted.  Now I am working on the dashboard and found some surprises.  The ignition switch and the indicator light holes were not drilled and there is a "spare" hole with small mounting holes on the passenger side.

I can drill hols but what goes on the passenger side?  A goggle showed that some had put the ignition switch in the extra hole.  Any thoughts?
Title: Re: Dashboard Layout New Tub
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on March 20, 2016, 02:19:39 PM
The CJ-2a had the ignition coil with integral switch mounted there....

#17

http://www.thecj2apage.com/om4.html

You could mount a cigarette lighter there to fill the hole.....I've found 6 volt lighters on ebay....

Nice looking jeep!

More pictures!
Title: Re: Dashboard Layout New Tub
Post by: athawk11 on March 20, 2016, 03:28:46 PM
Jim,
That is the original position for the keyed ignition coil used on the CJ2A.   This is one of the minor differences you find when comparing a 2A tub and a 3A tub. 

If this is a 2A tub, and you have 3A seat frames, you might have another fitment issue. 

Tim
Title: Re: Dashboard Layout New Tub
Post by: JimVillers on March 20, 2016, 08:11:29 PM
Tim ..... It is a "3A" tub as it has the vent in the windshield.� I think that I will use the hole for the ignition switch verses drilling a new hole and trying to cover this hole.� The new wiring harness (3A) will need to be modified.� I will probably drill a hole for the high beam indicator light.� A correct tub would have made the job easier and more correct.

I attached a couple of pictures.� Sorry for not posting more but I get busy with working and neglect keeping you all informed.� You are a wonderful group an I appreciate your wisdom in helping me create an "original" CJ3A.� That is me and my son in the picture, we are doing this project together (the grill and the wheels are dummies to roll the Jeep and hold the radiator).� A fun project.
Title: Re: Dashboard Layout New Tub
Post by: athawk11 on March 21, 2016, 12:58:04 PM
That Willys looks terrific.  What color for the wheels?

Tim
Title: Re: Dashboard Layout New Tub
Post by: JimVillers on March 21, 2016, 01:15:00 PM
Tim ... The wheels are Universal Beige with a Luzon Red stripe.
Title: Re: Dashboard Layout New Tub
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on March 21, 2016, 01:31:43 PM
That looks great...I like those wheels...!