My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: LeeC on March 16, 2016, 04:45:38 PM

Title: Oil pump ?
Post by: LeeC on March 16, 2016, 04:45:38 PM
Looking for opinions, I'm rebuilding the L134 in my M38. Looking for the best way to deal with the oil pump, I have 3 or 4 but don't know how good they are. Is there any way to check them off the engine ? I wouldn't mind buying a new one if I was sure it would work. I've heard a few horror stories.
Title: Re: Oil pump ?
Post by: CJPilot on March 17, 2016, 09:17:23 PM
After my "new" oil pump seized and broke the gear off the cam I found a NOS oil pump and paid dearly for it.  So far so good. But it has only run an hour or so. The "new" one only lasted a few minutes.


One more thing to think about, the cam is one of the first things you put in the block when building up the engine.  That makes changing it out a real PITA.  An oil pump is rather easy to change.
Title: Re: Oil pump ?
Post by: garage gnome on March 19, 2016, 07:23:11 AM
I would take them apart and inspect them. If they look good inside with no wear, I would put one on. The factory service manual has the specs for oil pumps.
Title: Re: Oil pump ?
Post by: LeeC on March 19, 2016, 04:33:33 PM
Quote
After my "new" oil pump seized and broke the gear off the cam I found a NOS oil pump and paid dearly for it.� So far so good. But it has only run an hour or so. The "new" one only lasted a few minutes.


One more thing to think about, the cam is one of the first things you put in the block when building up the engine.� That makes changing it out a real PITA.� An oil pump is rather easy to change.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it ?
Title: Re: Oil pump ?
Post by: CJPilot on March 19, 2016, 07:50:34 PM


Quote
Quote
After my "new" oil pump seized and broke the gear off the cam I found a NOS oil pump and paid dearly for it.� So far so good. But it has only run an hour or so. The "new" one only lasted a few minutes.


One more thing to think about, the cam is one of the first things you put in the block when building up the engine.� That makes changing it out a real PITA.� An oil pump is rather easy to change.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it ?
After it locked up I didn't want to try to fix it up so I never pulled it apart.