My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: athawk11 on February 02, 2016, 07:34:42 PM
-
Hi all,
A friend in Germany is restoring a 3A. He sent me this photo...
(http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/athawk11/853F7334-F710-4E0B-A101-E73D9C49E2C7_zpsjgaxvoyt.jpg)
It's mounted to his firewall. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe a resistor? What do you all think?
Tim
-
Looks like a rheostat to me, a variable resistor. For what, I don't know.
http://www.galco.com/images/moreinfo/ohmite0318.jpg
-
Looks like a rheostat to me, a variable resistor.
X2
-
I dunno...but it looks like maybe the center would turn as the coil heats up and then it acts as a switch of some sort....cooling fan????
I'd like to see the other side of it....
-
Definitely a rheostat.
It should have a cover over its innards and a knob on the shaft.
It's not wired to anything so it's anybody's guess what it was for.
Not original equipment.
-
Possibly an early electric trailer brake controller, WW2 half tracks had a like resistor for this purpose.
Lee ;)