My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: PaulS on November 09, 2015, 01:13:09 PM
-
The PO of my Jeep replaced the steering system with a power steering off an old Camaro or something. I'm trying to go back to original. Thankfully, the PO kept the Ross steering box in their parts bin, so I've got most of what I need. I bought the rest of what I need from Walcks.
The PO had cut the worm gear shaft. I expect they had trouble getting the steering wheel off (the wheel wasn't in the spare parts they gave me) and just cut it off. So I got a new worm gear shaft from Walcks. I put the steering box back together on the weekend, with new bearings and the new worm gear shaft. (A new horn button/wire, too.) But, the shaft is sticking up way too far past the end of the tube. The top bearing (also new) slides down onto the shaft to a tiny shoulder and stops there, probably 4-5" shy of the top of the tube.
I am now presuming that the PO cut the tube as well as the shaft. Walcks sells the tube as well, so I'll have to order one of those. But first, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm the length of the tube for me? (Is it possible the tube wasn't cut, but I got a shaft that is too long?)
Also, I wonder if anyone has any pictures of how all the parts go together at the top of the steering tube (bearing, spring, horn button, etc.)?
Thanks, Paul
-
Hi Paul, I measured from the top surface of the gear box to the end of my tube. 35". I also tried measuring the assembled Willys. I believe I'm getting the same 35". These are both '49 3As. My problem...the steering assembly on my Whitey project is not original to this 3A. And I have no way to confirm that the steering assembly in the OD Willys is the original. I'm guessing it is.
I believe the 3A set up is 1" longer than a 2A set up.
I don't know if I'm helping you here.
Tim
-
I had an issue replacing my shaft. Well, the 2A is 1" shorter the 3A shaft is 41-1/2" long
-
My tube is around 30.5" long. 35" looks to be about right, as that would leave it a bit shy of the splines.
I'll be placing an order at Walcks, soon.
Thanks,
-Paul
-
I am working on disassembly right now... Had a heck of a time taking the steering apart and ended up removing steering box with the shaft as I can't get the shaft out of the tube... 35" sounds about right though - my shaft with warm gear is 41.5" and still stuck inside the tube.