My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Linda on September 19, 2015, 05:38:42 PM
-
Hi , Iam back , I have my steering box ready to reassemble. The bushing are in . The sector shaft wouldn't go in . I have the short bushing on the inside and long one outside. I took the box to be reamed to the size of the shaft.And today it still wouldn't go together. I noticed the shaft. Is tapered. I saw them mic it onthe end .Is it possible that's the problem or is it suppose to be taper thanks for any help you can give me.On you tube it go together so easy.By the way my name is AL, my wife sign me up and her name came up
-
Hi Al,
You should install the bushings in the box, then hone them, or have them machined to fit the sector shaft.� The sector shaft should not have a taper.
Did the machine shop have the sector shaft when the reamed the bushings?
Tim
-
Yes , they had both parts. The bushings in the box were brass an d the ones in the kit were steel, the inner bushing was a spit one.it spun Inside the case,so was done holding it by hand,we cleaned the bushing and put locktite on it .it slide in by hand.maybe that did something to the bushing. The shaft GPS in about an inch and gets tight.
-
Hi Al,
I had the same problem when I installed new bushings into my Ross box. I ended up buying a brake wheel cylinder hone, and after installing the bushings, I used my drill and the hone tool to open up the I.D. a little bit at a time until the shaft fit inside. It was rather tedious as I'd hone a bit, clean it up, oil it, then try to fit the shaft. I did it quite a few times so that I wouldn't overdo it and have a loose fit. It worked out nicely.
I did polish the shaft a bit with some 1500 grit paper too, by hand....just to debur it and clean it up.
Good luck!
dAve
-
Hi, I forgot to reply. Sorry, bought the brake hone and I wore out the stones, I did get a good fit. Good advice, thanks !
AL
-
It's not good idea to use honing stones or anything with grit when working with brass or bronze bushings. Fine grit can be left inpregnated in the soft metal. Or so I've been told.
-
Bretto- BRM (Brush Research Manufacturing) the people that make the popular hones often called "Dingle Berry" or "Flex Hones" say its ok and actually sell hones for brass, bronze and other soft metals like aluminum. I am no metallurgist but I have honed brass many times on other projects- like an old MG midget and it went on to run many thousands of trouble free miles before I parted with it. Again- I'm no expert- just pointing out that some "experts" say its ok. So long as it was cleaned well, I would have no problem doing it again. We sometimes do things on the "farm" that I am sure some professor of something somewhere would tell us its wrong to do, but we get the job done and keep on working ;D.
-
Never saw a farmer driving a MG Midget before....:)
-
Younger years....learning a lot wrenching on that little British car....makes you appreciate the Willy's jeep just that much more.