My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: PaulS on October 29, 2015, 04:13:26 PM

Title: Brake drums
Post by: PaulS on October 29, 2015, 04:13:26 PM
I got a set of new brake drums from Walcks a while back.  They're the kind that fit over the studs (not the original type for a CJ3A).

They seem to be slightly too deep, though--when I tighten the lug nuts down, the drums get pressed into the backer plate.

Is there a simple fix for this?  Or do I need to get 1/8" or so machined off the end of the drums?

-Paul
Title: Re: Brake drums
Post by: athawk11 on October 29, 2015, 05:01:49 PM
Probably the easiest thing would be to add spacers/washers to the front side of the hub.  Start with one per stud.  Add as needed.

Tim
Title: Re: Brake drums
Post by: PaulS on October 29, 2015, 06:45:14 PM
Quote
Probably the easiest thing would be to add spacers/washers to the front side of the hub.� Start with one per stud.� Add as needed.

Remarkably simple and sensible!

Perhaps a followup question:  Is this something others have seen?  Could I have done something wrong in assembling the brakes/hub?

-Paul
Title: Re: Brake drums
Post by: athawk11 on October 29, 2015, 09:41:58 PM
I'm not entirely sure Paul.
If you're using your original hub, it's set in the same location on the tapered shaft regardless of the drum style (forward of hub, or aft).

You probably have the shims and bearing retainer in the correct order (behind the backing plate).  If these were in front, the backing plate might not rub, but I don't think you want to do this.  Here is a view of the order for your style brakes.  Maybe you can spot a difference in how you're set up.

(http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/athawk11/image_zpsrsaf3nm3.jpeg)


The only other thing I can think of is the drum is a bit out of tolerance or the backing plate is possibly bent.

Tim
Title: Re: Brake drums
Post by: BMIC on October 30, 2015, 06:05:31 AM
I had questioned KW on this a few years ago... I believe the answer at the time was they will fit and they did.
Title: Re: Brake drums
Post by: PaulS on October 30, 2015, 09:29:57 AM
BMIC--on mine, they don't fit.  They are definitely interfering with the backer plate.  On all four wheels.  To the point that when I put the wheels on (lug nuts tightened just with a ratchet--not fully torqued), I can't push the rolling chassis.

Tim--I'm quite sure I installed the parts in the right order.  I'll check that diagram against the ones I used, though.  (It's been too long since I assembled the axles for me to remember...)  I primarily used the diagrams in the Parts book and the Jeep repair manual.  (A reprint from the Kaiser years, I think, but it's for the 3A/3B.)  I have a few other books (the Chilton and Haynes books, and Ludell's rebuilding manual, plus the PDF of the 3A owner's manual and BobW's book), but I think for assembly diagrams, I relied on those two.  It seems unlikely that all four backing plates are bent.
Title: Re: Brake drums
Post by: BMIC on October 30, 2015, 02:13:55 PM
Just reviewing some pictures I took in 2012 when I had this problem and throwing a few things out for you to consider. The picture shows a pretty thick spacer behind the backing plate. That may be the problem with one drum but all four?