My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: terryb on October 16, 2015, 04:15:28 PM
-
hey guys, I came across a Harrison heater and was thinking of installing it in my 51 cj3a looked thru my service manual and there is not much there about how one hooks up. does anyone out there have one installed and could you tell me the best was to hook mine up.
all info will be helpful
thanks, Terry B. :)
-
Hi Terry...I took a few pictures and I hope they help.
Be sure to get the core leak tested because you will only want to put this heater in ONCE as it's a bit of a pain....
Also test the fan motor...you really don't want to take it out again.....
Somewhere on the forum is a big discussion about shortening the brass core tubes to help in getting the heater installed...I don't know how they did it at the factory but they managed somehow!
One mounting bolt is over by the supply tubes, the other is the lower nut on the air cleaner bracket....the boltis part of the heater assy and there should be a captured nut on the other mounting flange.
-
Does it matter where the two hoses coming from the heater go? Example, top hose from the heater goes to the water pump.... Bottom to the head.
Randy your picture shows the heater control knob mounted in the dash... correct? I like that.
One more question, why install a shut off on the heater hose connecting to the head?
Sorry to jump on your thread Terry but Randy's pictures are great...
-
yes, the pictures are a great help. i'm assuming the shut off valve is to turn off the heat in the summer? I got the heater apart and to plan on pressure testing the core, but the fan looks to be shot. plus 2 of the 4 fan blades are broke off so I've got some work to do before this ever gets installed. Thanks for all info and comments.
Terry
-
I don't think the hose routing matters..I think my top heater hose goes to the head...it just seemed to be the most direct routing...
There is no heater control in the dash..what you see it the cigar lighter and maybe the starter foot plunger under the dash. There is an on-off two speed switch for the fan clamped under the dash...but it's not in the above picture.
And yes I suppose the valve is there to shut the water off to the heater when it's not needed, but really, unless the fan is on you get no noticeable heat as the fan provides the only air flow....I'm sure the valve was in the jeep and I just re-used it. I think the CJ-5 has one too....