My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Austin on April 16, 2015, 07:30:31 AM
-
I went in the other day to adjust my e-break. I played around with the cable and took out the slack and freed the handel on the dash. It still doesn't engage. I didn't have enough time yester day to pull the drum off, but I would like to dive in this afternoon. What should I expect when I pull that drum off? Is there some way to adjust the break under the drum?
-
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/parking-brake-adjustment-star-wheels-wont-move_topic19585.html
-
There are adjustments that can be made without removing the drum, but it may be worth pulling it anyway.
This is a view of all the components. They must all be here for the brake system to work correctly. If all is there, it still may be worth it to grease the moving components.
If you�re confident that all parts are here, and don�t think they need some lube, you can turn the drum so the holes are over the two star shaped nuts over on the left of this photo. See the two blue arrows.
(http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/athawk11/94fbb08f-da86-4b3b-b720-249b47b9caab_zpsejussq9c.jpg)
With a screw driver, you can spin these stars outward to bring the pads closer the face of the drum. If you can�t get them to move, you will want to pull the drum, then go ahead and lube stuff up�including these star adjusters.
Tim
-
The pictures are great. Its always nice know what your going against before you dive in. Thanks. I didnt have a chance to get to it today. But I did see those thumb wheels through the drum. Hopefully I will get to adjusting it by Saturday. I have this jeep at work and im trying to work on it between customers.
-
You will quickly learn that athawk11 is indeed Super Human and - among many other talents - simply neutralizes all dirt particles solely with the power of his mind before they even have a chance to land on his vehicle.
Here's how the rest of our e-brakes look when we take them apart....
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/1952%20M38/DSCN1328_zps09a569f5.jpg)
-
Ryan, you seriously crack me up. Thanks for the compliment my friend. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
In reality, mine also looked like the one in Ryan's photo, until it was cleaned and painted. I decided to post a photo of the clean version so it's easier to see the actual components.
Tim
-
Wow thats a big difference. I positive mine is going to look like Ryan's. After all it's 64 years of grease, grime, and mud. Hopefully everything is there.
-
Austin,
Honestly, the grease and grime may be a blessing. It tends to hold it all together...and preserves it. ;D
Tim
-
That's what I am trying to tell myself about the oil line that blew out on me. What a mess.