My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: 1955CJ-5 on November 14, 2014, 09:45:19 PM

Title: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on November 14, 2014, 09:45:19 PM
I have added a top (enclosure) to my jeep and I find that the visibility out the right rear is nearly non-existent.

Has anyone added a rear view mirror to the right side? Do you have pictures?

I'd like to stay as original-looking as possible..

Thanks!
Randy
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: scoutpilot on November 15, 2014, 05:15:18 AM
[size=12]So, you're planning on passing someone on the road? ;) I've seen pax side mirror done before. Done it myself. If you think you'll be safer with it on, do it. Match up the hardware and it looks like it's been there forever. No points off. BTW, good looking top. I'm jealous.[/size][/b]
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: Bob W on November 15, 2014, 06:28:16 AM
I like the idea of using the same drivers side hardware on the passenger side. I think there is a doubler inside the body for the factory mirror, to add strength. A larger diameter mirror head might be a good idea too - for both sides.
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: athawk11 on November 15, 2014, 05:29:33 PM
I've often considered adding a passenger side mirror.� But only after putting on the winter top. ;)

I bought the Walcks mirror kit for Whitey.� It's a very nice reproduction.�

Tim
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on November 15, 2014, 07:37:23 PM
Thanks for the input everyone......

And Tim it's good to know the Walck's repro is a quality copy..that it the one I've been looking at....

And Scoutpilot, I pass people all the time, but they are usually going the other way...

Really though, changing lanes is a bit of a challenge, along with just backing out of the driveway..

Of course it would be just one more thing that could get knocked off..... :'(
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: Ryan_M on November 16, 2014, 07:17:30 AM
Quote
Of course it would be just one more thing that could get knocked off....

I bet if passenger side mirrors were factory standard it would have saved a lot of spare tires. You hear that hit something and you know it's time for immediate evasive action or your spare is next� ;D

Sort of like a "curb feeler"...but for trees and pedestrians  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: Tumbleweed on November 25, 2014, 12:01:19 PM
Randy,

Where did you get your top from? Did you not get the doors yet?

George
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on November 25, 2014, 12:40:08 PM
Hi George,

I got the top from Beachwood Canvas, and also the doors and the door frames.

The doors are on the UPS truck and will be delivered today!

I got the top frame and door sockets etc from Walck's...

Randy
Title: Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
Post by: Tumbleweed on November 25, 2014, 03:49:05 PM
That really looks great and looks like it is such a nice fit.

Thanks,

George