My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: terryb on September 20, 2014, 11:40:28 AM
-
good morning gentlemen, i have one quick question on lubrication. im checking the fluid level on my steering knuckles. i cant seem to find any info on the lube that goes in there. i pulled the plug on the back side and the stuff is a little thick like wheel bearing grease. is this correct or should it be an 80-90 or 80-140 type lube.
thank you as always,
Terry
-
I think the recommended lube is #000 grease....but the only way I've been able to find it is in 5 gallon buckets..that seem a little excessive..
So,
I bought #0 John Deere cornhead grease and mixed it with 140W gear oil and made this nasty green stuff the consistency of thick molasses and it seems to work fine. At least is does not leak out....
There is a thread on this somewhere and if I find it I'll post it...
Edit: Here it is..
http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1366136245
-
thank you for that info. i will do some research on knuckle pudding... :) :)
-
Some use CV joint lube....it comes in a tube, easy to service the knuckles.
-
Some will use straight John Deere Cornhead Grease. Thats what I used. Its runny enough to shake out of the grease tube into a ziplock bag. I cut a little corner out of the bag and squeezed it out into the housing. I was tempted to use my wifes little bag with the metal tip on it she uses for cake decorating but I dont think she would have liked that very much!
-
hey guys I took some bearing grease and added some 85w140 gear oil and mixed it up like pancake batter, its still kinda thick but it will pour. im gonna use the bottle that the gear oil was in since it has the tapered spout to squeeze it in.
-
Some will use straight John Deere Cornhead Grease.� Thats what I used.�
That's what I used too. Not because I know what I'm doing but it seemed a popular solution with others on the forums. I just loaded the tubes into a grease gun and pumped it into the knuckles.
So far so good.