My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Tucker on June 16, 2014, 11:08:33 PM

Title: Saginaw steering pickle
Post by: Tucker on June 16, 2014, 11:08:33 PM
I've got an issue with my Saginaw setup.

My project was in partial upgrade mode when I bought it.� The original owner had added in a Saginaw manual steering box, which is great, but it was hooked up to a hideous Grant steering wheel that just doesn't work for me.� I'm going back to a stock steering wheel (found an original on eBay), but I want the Saginaw box to stay.� I can't for the life of me find a steering shaft that works with the stock steering wheel.

For those of you who have done this before (added a Saginaw box but kept the stock wheel), what did you do for a steering shaft?� I can't find one the right size.� (I measured mine and believe the stock wheel has a 13/16"-36 spline hole in it--PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong).

Do I simply need to buy a stock worm gear shaft and cut off the worm gear part of it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tucker
Title: Re: Saginaw steering pickle
Post by: garage gnome on June 21, 2014, 01:13:01 PM
You'll need a column from a '72-75 CJ5 They use the same steering wheel and the column looks the same, but the bottom has a u-joint for the steering shaft.
Title: Re: Saginaw steering pickle
Post by: Bill04SD on June 21, 2014, 06:38:38 PM
Yes, you can also use a stock column with the worm cut off.  Requires adding a lower bushing or bearing and then the u-joint on the end.  Advance Adapters should have details on their tech site but you can probably source the parts cheaper elsewhere.
Title: Re: Saginaw steering pickle
Post by: Tucker on July 03, 2014, 11:50:21 PM
Thanks, guys.� (Sorry for the late reply--been camping in the beautiful boonies of the Pacific Northwest for the last week and a half.)