My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Jesse on January 06, 2014, 01:21:17 PM

Title: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Jesse on January 06, 2014, 01:21:17 PM
Hey fellas, I have had this tank style circulating block heater laying around for years and decided to put it on something. I think by looking at the directions that I should take the inlet from the threaded fitting on the passengers side of the block, and T the outlet into the heater hose going into the cylinder head. Does this seem correct?

The jeep is at home now but spends it's time in a unheated shed at the cabin. I figure what the heck let's try this heater out.
-Jesse
Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Bob W on January 06, 2014, 04:15:12 PM
Those heaters work great. That is exactly how it should be plumbed.
Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Jesse on January 17, 2014, 12:03:28 PM
I finally got some time to flop the block heater into the jeep last night. Left it outside overnight with a timer to start the heater at 6am. That thing works awesome, when I checked it at 7:30 the block was very warm to the touch as well as the carb and everything. It was at least zero out when I checked this morning. Recommended upgrade!

-Jesse
Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Quebec Jeep on January 17, 2014, 02:42:30 PM
Any pictures of it?
Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: ZekeD on January 17, 2014, 09:16:30 PM
I would love to see some pictures....   The magnetic one that I have is ok, but it has to be put on and off everytime you want to drive.

Zeke
Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Jesse on January 17, 2014, 09:25:37 PM
OK, I'll take some pictures in the morning. Had to make a bracket, but it's just a 5 inch piece of flat steel. Mounted the tank to the passenger side cab support.

-Jesse

*Update* sorry boys, working on the photos but I'll need to get a new battery for my camera.
Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Jesse on April 02, 2014, 06:17:47 PM
Whoops, got my camera working a looooonnnnggg time ago and forgot all about these pictures. Just in time for summer, here is how I installed my block heater.

(http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/jrbarta/jeepheatertank_zps69465a40.jpg) (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/jrbarta/media/jeepheatertank_zps69465a40.jpg.html)

This is what the bracket looks like. Bolted to the cowl brace, hose clamps around the tank. Bing Bang Boom.

(http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/jrbarta/DSC_3119_zpsea2ca2ea.jpg) (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/jrbarta/media/DSC_3119_zpsea2ca2ea.jpg.html)

Hose off the block


(http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/jrbarta/DSC_3118_zps63cdaf8f.jpg) (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/jrbarta/media/DSC_3118_zps63cdaf8f.jpg.html)

Into the tank


Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Jesse on April 02, 2014, 06:25:55 PM
(http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/jrbarta/DSC_3116_zps7ce7eaf8.jpg) (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/jrbarta/media/DSC_3116_zps7ce7eaf8.jpg.html)

And from the tank into the upper heater core line, out the lower and into the water pump fitting. Heats the block up over 100 degrees. If you throw a blanket over the engine bay, everything in there gets at least warm to the touch. Works great!

-Jesse
Title: Re: Tank style block heater?
Post by: Oilleaker1 on April 03, 2014, 08:00:52 AM
Those do work great, but the back flow check ball over time gets crudded up and then they don't work. You should clean it annually. If they get crudded up, they also will end up burning themselves up.  Other options are the lower radiator hose insert, head bolt heater, soft plug heater. I don't think a l or F 134 has room for the soft plug heater type. A heated garage works the best! ;D John