My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: PeterL on March 10, 2014, 05:58:52 PM
-
Good evening! I was just looking over the stock jeep project section and I came across someone mentioning utilizing 3B drums in place of the 3A. Would someone point me in the right direction to start investigating this upgrade? Are the any cons? Will it look much different?
Thanks,
Peter
-
Thanks for asking this, I am interested in the process as well!
-
It's not really an upgrade to go from a 9" 3A drum to a 9" 3B drum. Although they adjust differently, they both perform the same IMHO :). If you would like to increase stopping ability, here's a link to the 3B page for upgrading to 11" drums- http://cj3b.info/Tech/Brakes11inch.html
You might want to convert to a dual reservoir master cylinder as well.
-
Nothing to it. Remove your old drum/hub assemblies, press the studs out, put new studs in the hubs and then slide the 3B drums right over the hubs. Or if you have access to axles from a 3B or CJ5, take the hubs off them. I had a set of axles from a 3B, so I just swapped the drums and hubs.
(http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/willyscjmj/4CC2630D-368E-41A6-B50D-E9DFD2DE4737-15008-00001BFC5EFCFC64_zps69e06105.jpg) (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/willyscjmj/media/4CC2630D-368E-41A6-B50D-E9DFD2DE4737-15008-00001BFC5EFCFC64_zps69e06105.jpg.html)
-
Thanks garage gnome! So, It is really just a drum swap? Is there any need better/worse to swap the 3B hubs at the same time?
-
The hubs are the same between the 3A/B. Just the 3A has the drum behind the hub. I didn't want to go through the trouble of pressing the studs out.