My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: 1955CJ-5 on July 03, 2013, 03:02:28 PM

Title: Engine timing marks...
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 03, 2013, 03:02:28 PM
I've read a number of comments about how difficult it is to see the flywheel timing marks...

This front pulley already had a notch cut in it, so when I saw these on ebay I just had to have one...It's really for an M-38...but it seems like a reasonable add-on...and will allow for timing with a timing light...

Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: Bob W on July 03, 2013, 09:24:13 PM
The M-38 crank pulley was a different diameter than the Civilian Jeep so those pointers are kinda far away.
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 03, 2013, 09:32:22 PM
I'll see when I get it mounted...I could bend the pointers down a little....I will set TDC via the flywheel at first, then use this as a relative adjustment..
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: Bob W on July 03, 2013, 09:35:49 PM
Sound like a good plan. It is nice to have the timing marks up front where they are easier to see.
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 03, 2013, 09:43:07 PM
I just thought that I would have a better idea of how far I was advancing the timing and I could also see how the mechanical advance was or wasn't working....

I use an external 12 volt power source for my timing light and it works just fine on the 6v system..

But, we will see....
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 04, 2013, 04:19:50 PM
Quote
The M-38 crank pulley was a different diameter than the Civilian Jeep so those pointers are kinda far away.

Bob is absolutely right of course....but without his input I would have thought that was just the way it was supposed to be...

So I fixed it..

(http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/green55jeep/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/th_P1050996_zps564c85d5.jpg) (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/green55jeep/media/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/P1050996_zps564c85d5.jpg.html)

A strip of 18ga steel..

(http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/green55jeep/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/th_P1050997_zpsad283859.jpg) (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/green55jeep/media/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/P1050997_zpsad283859.jpg.html)

Some silver braze...

(http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/green55jeep/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/th_P1060005_zpscdea4a8b.jpg) (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/green55jeep/media/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/P1060005_zpscdea4a8b.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 04, 2013, 04:21:08 PM
Double checked with the flywheel marks and good to go...

(http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/green55jeep/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/th_P1060012_zps6faf54e8.jpg) (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/green55jeep/media/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/P1060012_zps6faf54e8.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: athawk11 on February 14, 2014, 06:25:36 PM
Hi Randy,
Can I ask a favor?  Could you measure the distance between the two indicator arrows on your pointer? 

Tim
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on February 14, 2014, 07:05:30 PM
I can do that...it might be tomorrow though...
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: athawk11 on February 14, 2014, 08:03:23 PM
That's great.  Thank you. 

Tim
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on February 15, 2014, 07:00:34 PM
Hi Tim,

The timing marks that are stamped into the steel bracket are 3/8" apart. The pointers are a little less than that.....it proved incredibly difficult to hold the flashlight, the tape measure, and then be able to see accurately....I had to look at it from underneath, the fan shroud blocks the view from the top....I hope that's enough info.......
Title: Re: Engine timing marks...
Post by: Gunslinger on February 15, 2014, 07:47:58 PM
I did the same thing, got the indicator at Midwest Military, it was pretty cheap and it does a nice job.  However I did not have to modify mine, it just bolted into place and is within about 1/4 inch of the pulley.  I'll get a pic out Sunday.
Gun