My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Quebec Jeep on February 12, 2014, 09:44:01 AM

Title: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Quebec Jeep on February 12, 2014, 09:44:01 AM
I bought a rebuild vacuum motor last year from * (wiperman.com). I installed it and it does'nt work.

I don't feel any vacuum from the fuel pump.
My rubber vacuum line are dry out.

So here the questions;
What are you using as rubber vacuum line? Size?
Should I spend money on a new complete fuel pump with vacuum?
Or should I spend money on a rebuild kit for the fuel pump?

I guess I have a bad vacuum diaphragm.

If I spend money on a vacuum motor is because I wanted it stock so no need to speak about electrical wiper. Thanks
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: p3ferris on February 12, 2014, 09:54:14 AM
First check the vaccume at the fuel pump to see if it is working.  There may be breaks in line from there to the wiper motor causeing loss.  If it is not working there then time for replacement or rebuild.  That would be your choice. I think the line size is 1/2 in.  Take a piece of your old one in so you do get it right.
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on February 12, 2014, 10:05:24 AM
I would for certain replace the rubber line..one tiny crack could keep the wiper from working. Also you must be sure the rubber line is a tight fit...it only takes a small leak to prevent the wiper from working

And then verify the vacuum line routing...from the fitting on the top of rear tube of the intake manifold, it goes to the block side fitting of the fuel pump, and then from the fender/frame side fitting it is routed to the vacuum wiper motor...

I do not know if scoutpilot repairs the dual action fuel pumps..

This fellow rebuilds them and also sells kits...

http://www.classicpreservation.com/
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: F Bill on February 12, 2014, 12:23:54 PM
If you have a Mityvac tester, you can check that wiper, or just suck on a piece of hose attached to its vacuum port. You should be able to make it operate slowly just sucking on it.
The other option is to run a 2A style system, with the vacuum being pulled off the manifold instead of the pump. Of course that also means that when you floor the gas, the wipers will stop.

A mityvac would also be a good tool to check the lines with...you could use the low pressure output and plug the end of the line at the wiper (or just turn it off) and slightly pressurize the line. Listen for leaks, or use soapy water like you were checking an inner tube.
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: athawk11 on February 12, 2014, 12:39:14 PM
Hey Pascal,

I need to share my ignorance.  I bought an aftermarket vacuum style pump.  I hooked up the wipers just like I saw in all the Willys 3A photos.  Problem was, my after market pump was for a different style Willys and the vacuum lines from this style pump were reversed.  I had to reverse the vacuum lines from the pump to get the wiper to work. 

If you have an original 3A style pump, then everything above can be disregarded.

Tim

Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Quebec Jeep on February 12, 2014, 02:05:23 PM
Thanks.
I just bought new rubber line that I will install tonight.

Tim, I don't know. I will have to check but I always tough that it was original. But it's a good point since I am thinking to buy a new one. I hope Walck's carry the proper one.

My new wiper "motor" is working fine when I suck on it.

I'll need to check if my compression tools will fit. It should.
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: bretto on February 12, 2014, 03:04:14 PM
Just run a line to your mouth when you need wipers then. :)
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Quebec Jeep on February 12, 2014, 03:32:25 PM
Quote
Just run a line to your mouth when you need wipers then.

Lol! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But to be able to pass the mechanical inspection, it's require.

This is so f... stupid! I don't even have a top so it will make no difference if it's working or not.

And by the way, I always drive with the windshield down!� ;)
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Oilleaker1 on February 12, 2014, 07:25:25 PM
My 2 cents are to run direct to the intake port and forget that double pump piece of crap. My wipers work as well or better that way. I've been totally disappointed with those double acting pumps on Chevy or Willys. Makes no difference. Allot of those Trico motors have a "help Handle" from the factory. You will need it going up a hill or bucking a headwind. The double acting pump does not help and I have several. When reading vacuum, at the port on the engine or at the pump assist port, I find more at the engine. My opinion. You can do your own tests. John
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Ryan_M on February 12, 2014, 08:19:15 PM
I installed one of those rebuilt Trico SF616 wiper motors from * along with a new vacuum pump from Walck's. I'm as happy as a guy can be with that combo on a Jeep that also has no roof.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZJN2eXz1g[/media]
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: F Bill on February 12, 2014, 08:29:46 PM
Ryan, that works pretty well for a dry windshield.. Your passenger wiper doesn't seem to be keeping up..  ;D

What do those rebuilt wipers go for??
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on February 12, 2014, 08:48:48 PM
Wow, that works great...I didn't think that was possible!

Where did you get it?
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Ryan_M on February 12, 2014, 08:48:50 PM
Quote
What do those rebuilt wipers go for??


I don't remember exactly....stupid money though - over $100. Pretty neat otherwise:



Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on February 12, 2014, 09:00:38 PM
This must be the place..

http://www.wiperman.com/
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Ryan_M on February 12, 2014, 09:14:38 PM
Quote
This must be the place..

http://www.wiperman.com/

Yup.
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Quebec Jeep on February 13, 2014, 08:39:29 AM
The new rubber line does'nt help.

Wow! That is impresive Ryan. Hope to get mine like yours.
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Ryan_M on February 13, 2014, 11:45:07 AM
Can you feel any vacuum from the pump? Do you have hose clamps on your rubber hose connections? Are the hoses plumbed to the correct ports on the vacuum pump - maybe they are reversed? How about a picture of the whole set up? Including pump and line from the intake manifold and the line to the wiper.
Title: Re: Vacuum wiper
Post by: Quebec Jeep on February 13, 2014, 04:46:39 PM
I will work on it tonight and come up tomorrow with pics.