My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: maximushuntermus on December 31, 2013, 08:06:40 PM

Title: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on December 31, 2013, 08:06:40 PM
Can anyone give me the dimensions of the 4 rear tub to bumper body bracket locations? I have a new bumper so no holes yet, any help appreciated, Thanks.
(http://)
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on December 31, 2013, 08:17:09 PM
I'm not sure if this helps, but..

Measured from the driver side, from the end of the rear crossmember, the first hole in the crossmember is at 4" and the second at 20"

Measured from the passenger side, from the end of the crossmember, the first hole in the crossmember is at 1 1/4" and the second, inner hole at 17" on center.

I measured with the tub and bolts in place.
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on January 01, 2014, 09:42:19 AM
That should do it thank you very much...
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on January 01, 2014, 05:33:48 PM
Well thought that would do it, the rear cross member I bought from Classic Ent. and it seems the driver side is longer from the frame rail than the passenger side, sure seems wrong. here are some photos.(http://)(http://)
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on January 01, 2014, 06:01:13 PM
Right side
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on January 01, 2014, 06:04:41 PM
Rear view
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: athawk11 on January 01, 2014, 06:27:12 PM
Maximush,

That is actually correct.  The original 3A rear crossmember/bumper is suppose to be off center.  There were originally license plate slots cut into the driver side.
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: SteveW on January 01, 2014, 08:26:16 PM
O.K. I am seeing a tailpipe on the drivers side?
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on January 01, 2014, 09:05:24 PM
Quote
Rear view

Yes Tim is correct. The distance from the outside face of the frame to the end of the crossmember on the driver side is 13 1/2", and on the passenger side it's 10 1/2"......a difference of 3 inches....Mine might be a little different than yours...

So, I tried measuring from the frame rails...

From the outside face of the frame the outboard holes are each 9 3/8' from the frame.

The inboard holes are 6 1/8" from the inboard face of the frame rail....

Hope this helps....!

Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on January 02, 2014, 10:53:12 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, thats a relief, is the tailpipe not supposed to be on driver side? This was how I recieved it so I just cleaned it up and left it as is.
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on January 02, 2014, 11:50:19 AM
This is how it was routed......where is your muffler?





Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on January 02, 2014, 07:11:51 PM
Yeah mine is up towards the Xfer case so thats wrong, it had a small maybe 5 inch round tube type muffler on it, that should have been a clue huh? LOL, no big deal we can fix that.
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on January 02, 2014, 07:40:48 PM
There is a drawing on page 114 of the service manual....also there is a drawing of a DJ-3a on page 12 that shows the exhaust.....the DJ routing looks like yours maybe?

Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: maximushuntermus on January 03, 2014, 12:00:53 PM
yeah Im sure it was done by bubba, when I got it it actually had an f-head in it, so that was probaly done then. Its coming around though, don't expect to get it 100% correct but if I could get it to an 8 out of 10 I would be happy. Its for me only and I plan on running the heck out of it on mostly forrest service roads here in Flagstaff, Az. watching the massive Elk here in Unit 7W. Thanks again for your help.
Title: Re: Body mount Brackets at Rear of Tub
Post by: ZekeD on January 03, 2014, 12:41:12 PM
Elk!?!?!?!?    :D.  Oh, sorry, good luck with the jeep and the animals...

Zeke