My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: SteveW on September 17, 2013, 03:28:52 PM

Title: Rear seat clip fix
Post by: SteveW on September 17, 2013, 03:28:52 PM
Don't have a seat yet but I kept the clips from old tub and decided to see if they could be fixed.

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/P1010157.JPG)

Same problem with flat springs rusty and weak. Body is easy to get apart and clean

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/P10101591.JPG)

coil springs and new dowels

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/P10101601.JPG)

You have to play a bit to get the springs to hold but allow them to spread enough for the seat point to go through opening

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/P10101611.JPG)

I didn't like the bearing of the spring on the rod it kinda moved around a little and rolled for lack of a better term

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/P10101641.JPG)

This solved it by grinding a little flat on the rod so springs sets tight to it and body

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/P10101631.JPG)

Should work fine
Title: Re: Rear seat clip fix
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on September 17, 2013, 04:17:14 PM
I've got a rusty set of those...I was wondering if they were repairable..

Thanks!
Title: Re: Rear seat clip fix
Post by: athawk11 on September 17, 2013, 10:46:19 PM
Excellent 'How To'.  I have a couple sets that look like scrap metal.  You have given me hope.

Tim
Title: Re: Rear seat clip fix
Post by: Matto on September 18, 2013, 06:10:55 PM
Nice job! You salvaged original hardware and saved $60 for a repop pair in the process.
Title: Re: Rear seat clip fix
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on November 13, 2013, 05:40:43 PM
I'm going to give this a try....These things look pretty rough but one step at a time...

SteveW...did you treat them with anything? It looks like you used some Prep and Ready or something...

Title: Re: Rear seat clip fix
Post by: SteveW on November 13, 2013, 08:11:53 PM
Just Ospho on the metal. I really like the stuff. I also sandblasted the parts in my cabinet.