My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: 3aJeeper on August 30, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

Title: Tapping a thread for temp gauge
Post by: 3aJeeper on August 30, 2013, 09:50:22 AM
Finally getting a chance to get back and do a little work on the jeep.

I am replacing the temp gauge with mechanical one. I had to drill out a brass fitting so I can make the mechanical gauge fit. I didn't completely drill it out so as not to destroy the threads in the block.

I need to chase the threads to clean out the last little bit of brass, but I don't know what tap I should use. How do I go about figuring that out? I've not done this before so I really don't want to monkey-up the block.

Here's a pic from an earlier thread pointing out the brass fitting I drilled out.

(http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb336/carneyjb/tempgauge_zpse5643c8d.jpg) (http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/carneyjb/media/tempgauge_zpse5643c8d.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Tapping a thread for temp gauge
Post by: Carls_jeep on August 30, 2013, 10:16:16 AM
I think that is a 1/2" tapered pipe thread.