My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Heimbig on August 16, 2013, 04:47:27 PM

Title: To restore or not
Post by: Heimbig on August 16, 2013, 04:47:27 PM
I have a 1952 CJ3A that I purchased from the 2nd owner.  The motor was shot but the paint was original.  A college in Calif. had owned it and over the years they added safety items like a back up light and several mobile antennas.  I have not completely restored the frame and running gear to original and I am wondering what to do with the body.  It is straight with zero rust.

Looking for opinions should I remove some of the items and fill the holes or leave them there.  I am not planning on repainting the body at this time.

Thanks

Mike
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: Quebec Jeep on August 16, 2013, 05:24:42 PM
A picture would help us to give you our opinion and anyway we are fan of pictures ....

You may want to read this thread;

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1360037699/319#319

Might give you an idea of what is possible or not. Its always depend on your skills also.
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: Heimbig on August 16, 2013, 07:06:14 PM
I have a couple of photos but I am unsure how to load them on this page.

Mike
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: athawk11 on August 16, 2013, 07:23:02 PM
Heimbig,
The easiest way to post a single photo is the use the "Browse..." feature just below the box that you type in when posting.  Push the browse button.  This should take you to your computer documents and photos. 
 
If you want multiple photos in one posting, it's easier to post your photos in a site like PhotoBucket, then copy and paste them here in your post.

Tim
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: garage gnome on August 16, 2013, 08:05:35 PM
I think I would leave the body the way it is, but pics would help.
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: stony on August 16, 2013, 09:59:14 PM
I am planning on preserving mine as best I can, after all it is only original once! ;)
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on August 16, 2013, 10:44:33 PM
Quote
I am planning on preserving mine as best I can, after all it is only original once! ;)


I agree....if the holes you mentioned are just bolt holes then put a short bolt or machine screw in them....
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: Heimbig on August 17, 2013, 12:32:46 PM
when I try the browse and try to load the photo it comes up with a forbidden error
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: Heimbig on August 17, 2013, 12:52:08 PM
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag84/Heimbig/1952%20jeep/1952-4_zps9499db7c.jpg
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on August 17, 2013, 01:11:46 PM
I wish mine had looked that good when I bought it....

How are the floors?

If it were mine, i would take off all the accessories that I didn't want, get some round headed machine screws, paint them black or use brass black to darken them, and put them in all the empty mounting holes...

There is a blanking plate for the M-38 that is used to cover the trailer wiring socket, you could use one of those or something similar in the big holes....

I like your jeep!!

When i was a kid you could buy an aftermarket diamond plate bumper for different vehicles..I think it was called a Bardon (sp?) Bumper...it may have been a local supplier, but your bumper sure looks like a Bardon...!

Randy
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: Heimbig on August 17, 2013, 01:58:12 PM
the floors are perfect, I have an original passenger side tail light that I may put on for safety and the move the reflector to cover the hole where the backup light was drilled.
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: stony on August 17, 2013, 02:42:43 PM
I would not touch it!!!!   Some wild funky seat covers would look great!
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on August 17, 2013, 03:16:03 PM
Do I see an overdrive lever?
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: Heimbig on August 17, 2013, 04:56:03 PM
yes it has an overdrive
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: calvinhunt on August 17, 2013, 11:56:55 PM
Heimbig,
What's the serial number of your Jeep?  Mine had original paint when I purchased it from its second owner, too.  I see some things in your photos that make me curious.
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: johnrb3b on August 20, 2013, 12:49:11 PM
If it were mine, I'd clean it up, make everything work and keep it as original as possible.
I'm a traditionalist, as you might have guessed.
Title: Re: To restore or not
Post by: Matto on August 20, 2013, 08:14:45 PM
I would try to keep it original. My 49 3A has patches on patches and was painted several colors mostly with a brush. The firewall in the engine compartment is about the only original thing left.
   My originally Green 54 3B had been painted "rattle can Red" from stem to stern. Again the only thing original was the engine compartment.
 From your pictures, It looks like you've got a lot to work with.