My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: PaulS on August 17, 2013, 12:27:28 AM

Title: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
Post by: PaulS on August 17, 2013, 12:27:28 AM
I'm trying to decide which bearings to replace and which to keep (to save a few bucks).

Here's the inner pinion bearing (from the D41 rear axle):
(http://www3.telus.net/plsmjs/jeepblog/_MG_0739_.jpg)

That little dent is leaving a mark on the roller.  I can't feel it with my finger, and the bearing moves very smoothly.  If I was just basing it on feel, I'd keep the bearing.  But I'm, inclined to replace it.  Your thoughts?

And problem #2, there's a chip in the pinion (still on the rear D41):
(http://www3.telus.net/plsmjs/jeepblog/_MG_0738_.jpg)

This worries me.  But the chip is right at the end.  The contact patch appears to be in the middle of the gear--and doesn't extend to the end.  So is the chip critical, or can I reuse this part?  (I'd really rather not shell out 300 bucks for a new one!)

Thanks,

-Paul
Title: Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
Post by: Carls_jeep on August 17, 2013, 12:58:20 AM
I'd clean off the burr and use the bearing. The chip looks like metal may have been in and chipped it in the past.
Title: Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
Post by: stony on August 17, 2013, 04:24:36 PM
I would not worry about either.� Looks like the chipped area was ground down after it happened.
Title: Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
Post by: bretto on August 17, 2013, 05:49:12 PM
Agreed, run me both.  In 30 years someone will be asking the same thing.
Title: Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
Post by: PaulS on August 17, 2013, 09:53:57 PM
Okay, I'll keep them both.� But I will grind down the edges of the chip.� (Terry--it doesn't look to me that it's been ground already.  But I have the benefit of a close look at it, and not just the one picture.)

Thanks,

-Paul