My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: PaulS on August 16, 2013, 10:46:30 PM

Title: Axle bearing retainer plate
Post by: PaulS on August 16, 2013, 10:46:30 PM
I'm looking at my "Parts List" book (for CJ-2A and 3A).  Specifically Figure 41 on page 81, showing the rear axle (semi floating).

I've got a part not shown in the figure! In Moses Ludel's Rebuilders Manual, he appears to refer to this as a bearing retainer.

It looks like the shims (Part numbers 640971-640974), except for its thickness (approximately 0.15").

Am I blind, or is this missing from the Parts List diagram?  (Is it part # 940970 listed in group 22-05?)

I guess the real thing I need to know is where it goes.  (Mea Culpa--I didn't take enough notes/photos while disassembling!)  I am assuming it goes inboard of the backing plate--with the shims.  That's what it seems in Ludel's book, and I think it's what makes sense.

Thanks,

-Paul
Title: Re: Axle bearing retainer plate
Post by: garage gnome on August 16, 2013, 10:50:16 PM
Yes, there is a bearing retainer in there. I can't remember if it goes agains the axle tube, then the shims and then the backing plate or if it is tube, shims, retainer, backing plate. I'll have to look at mine tomorrow.
Title: Re: Axle bearing retainer plate
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on August 16, 2013, 11:11:18 PM
On mine it's tube, shims then retainer plate, brake backing plate......

Aren't the shims there to set the end play, and isn't the end play determined by the distance from the bearing to the retainer plate? So the shims would move the retainer away from the bearing, increasing end play...

And, if I remember right, you must have both axles installed to set the end play..I went round and round trying to do it one axle at a time...

Tim posted a great picture on this thread:

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1367517992
Title: Re: Axle bearing retainer plate
Post by: Carls_jeep on August 17, 2013, 01:04:47 AM
You also have to start with equal shims on both sides to center the spacer block in the ring gear assembly. You measure the end play with a dial indicator on the end of the axle shaft and the base mounted on the backing plate. First you slap the end of the axle shaft with a dead blow hammer and put the dial indicator plunger on the end of the axle shaft and then pull and push the axle and read the end play. The end play should be .003" to .007". You may have to buy a shim kit to get the right end play.