My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: JuanAngel on August 16, 2013, 02:25:40 PM
-
Need some help on installing a neoprene rear oil seal on L134.
1. The engine is on a stana and has been turned 30 under
2. When I tighten the caps the cranks is hard to turn by hand. It turns free withouth the seal.
3. Its necesary to trim the seal with the block and cap surface?
4. How do you trim the seals? There is a metal rib inside the seal.
5. Is there a oil seal with lips?
Thanks for your help
-
Hi Juan,
Unfortunately, there are some bad neoprene rear main seals floating around out there.� You may have one of the bad ones.
Did you lubricate the seal and crank shaft surface prior to setting the cap?
You do not want to trim that seal.
You can try to find a different seal.� If you are set on the neoprene style try a different supplier.� They may offer the good version of that seal.
Or, use the original style rope seal.� �I gave up trying to use the neoprene style after 2 failures.� I used the rope seal on my third attempt.� No leaks.
Good Luck!!� And welcome the the 3A Page.
Tim
-
There was some discussion here about the rear seals...
http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1370454078
I finally used a rope seal.....