My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: 1955CJ-5 on July 21, 2013, 03:28:42 PM

Title: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 21, 2013, 03:28:42 PM
Rust...everywhere I look, more rust...

So:

What's the consensus?� Repair or replace ?� There is always the chance that I can find some used originals locally....but repro's are more likely...

Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 21, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
Let me answer my own question..

Repair!

I've been looking at prices...wow...and I'm sure a new fender comes with plenty of work to make it fit...
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: F Bill on July 21, 2013, 05:32:14 PM
After all you have gone thru with the tub it should be a walk int he park to repair them Use the good hat channel replacements from Midwest Military or Classic, not the lightweight imports.
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: garage gnome on July 21, 2013, 07:09:28 PM
I was actually very happy with the reproductions I got. I think they are the only parts that didn't major work.
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 21, 2013, 07:31:10 PM
Quote
After all you have gone thru with the tub it should be a walk int he park to repair them Use the good hat channel replacements from Midwest Military or Classic, not the lightweight imports.


I have a Classic Ent hat replacement for the drivers side, but did not order one for the passenger fender. At the time it looked OK to me, but it doesn't look so good now....

But, I've started on the driver side. The first look is always the worst, once I start in with the grinder and get that rust out of there things always look better....
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: athawk11 on July 21, 2013, 08:23:34 PM
Okay... I vote...replace.

And once you replace yours, cut me out the louvers section from your old driver side and send it to me.

PO hacked them out of my fender.� ;)

In all honesty, if the edge that surrounds the top surface is in good condition, all the rest of the repairs are well within your skill set.   8-)

Tim
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: garage gnome on July 21, 2013, 08:28:11 PM
Tim, you need them? I have the old set of fenders from my 53 still and I think those are still good. PM me.
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 22, 2013, 12:26:52 AM
I'm doing it...more pics on the rusty thread...

(http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/green55jeep/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/th_P1060178_zps9337e66a.jpg) (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/green55jeep/media/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/P1060178_zps9337e66a.jpg.html)

(http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/green55jeep/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/th_P1060173_zpsafbd6159.jpg) (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/green55jeep/media/51%20cj-3a%20rust%20pictures/P1060173_zpsafbd6159.jpg.html)
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: ranchhopper on July 22, 2013, 04:56:21 PM
I have a decent set sitting around they need the bottom section of hat channel replaced if you need them.
Title: Re: New (repro) Fenders?
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on July 22, 2013, 09:45:23 PM
I really appreciate your offer...but I am going to try to repair the original fenders..I made more progress today so I think they will be fine....

But if one of them crumbles through my fingers I will be in touch!