My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: garage gnome on May 02, 2013, 07:32:42 AM

Title: Color scheme
Post by: garage gnome on May 02, 2013, 07:32:42 AM
Ok, I need some help with picking a color scheme for the '49. I want to paint it Forest green. I usually do black windshield frame, black wheels and black WILLYS script. But I don't think that would look good with a dark green paint job. I'm thinking about painting the windshield green (like it should be) and the WILLYS stamps white. What should I do for the wheels? White also? Same as the body color? I'm open to suggestions. Reason I want to go with green is I want to make it a forest service type of rig.
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: Quebec Jeep on May 02, 2013, 08:30:11 AM
A guy from early CJ5 forum may suggest to you to try an Hello Kitty scheme!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: athawk11 on May 02, 2013, 09:45:37 AM
Wheels...Golds, Yellows, Tans, Creams always look nice with Forrest Green.

I will add that I would like the Forrest Green with Black highlights. �The contrast would be subdued, but kinda 'mean' looking. � It doesn't really work if you're going for a 'happy' little Willys. ;)

Tim
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: macrisel on May 02, 2013, 09:46:28 AM
I think the green body/windshield with white letters would look great.  Add gloss black wheels, mirrors, footman loops, etc. and attach them all with SS bolts and nuts to really accent the body paint and give it a tougher look.  If the green is going to be a lighter shade and you want to stand out a little, go with a light beige on the wheels.

Of course, a forest service rig HAS to have a PTO drive winch on the front and a period correct fire extinguisher also!  ;)
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: ZekeD on May 02, 2013, 11:49:22 AM
Somebody has to be good with photoshop........Help Nate out here.

ZD
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: garage gnome on May 02, 2013, 12:46:00 PM
Wow, thanks guys for the input! Keep in mind too, the body is not going to be perfect nor will it be a 100 point restoration. I'm just going to fix the rust issues on the tub, leave the dents and dings, slop some rustoelum on and call it good. That way, I can use it and easily touch it up if I have too. The '49 is my working jeep!

Mark, I did use stainless hardware on my '53. I really like the looks of that. I used the cad plated footman loops too. Even the bolts for the windshield hinges are stainless! I got those through Herm. And yes, I do want to find a PTO winch for it.
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: garage gnome on May 02, 2013, 12:57:02 PM
Quote
Wheels...Golds, Yellows, Tans, Creams always look nice with Forrest Green.

I will add that I would like the Forrest Green with Black highlights. �The contrast would be subdued, but kinda 'mean' looking. � It doesn't really work if you're going for a 'happy' little Willys. ;)

Tim

This is the green I'm going to use. Maybe the black highlights would be the way to go...  :-?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-32-oz-Dark-Hunter-Green-Protective-Enamel-2-Pack-182668/202041075?N=1asZ1as#.UYKaQHCf_zI
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: Matto on May 02, 2013, 08:49:28 PM
Nate,
 ï¿½ � � � Here's our 54 3B with "Granada Green" that was matched by Nason from an original 1954 Willys/Nason color chart I bought off Ebay. Wheels are a light Cream, Willys script is the same light cream as the wheels. windshield is black as was common on the 3Bs.
(http://i40.tinypic.com/2qtkg74.jpg)

(http://i45.tinypic.com/2prw8d0.jpg)
Previous owner had painted it "Rattle Can Red" from stem to stearn but they left the firewall the original green.
Matt
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: garage gnome on May 02, 2013, 09:01:13 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Now that I can see it, I'm not digging the white lettering and wheels. Nice jeep though!
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: Matto on May 03, 2013, 05:39:27 PM
How about dark green with "Highway Yellow" (Caterpillar yellow) wheels and lettering.
 Canvas seats in olive drab or tan.
Seems like a Forrest Service combo.
Matt

Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: ZekeD on May 03, 2013, 09:19:55 PM
Black wheels, black windshield maybe black fenders??????


Or is that too. SoCal

Zeke :D
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: garage gnome on May 03, 2013, 10:38:12 PM
Not black fenders for sure. I do like the black windshield frame though.
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: FolowMe on May 04, 2013, 09:18:49 PM
Do you still need primer with Rust-Oleum paint?
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: Matto on May 05, 2013, 08:46:33 AM
I use their "Rusty Metal Primer" as a first coat.
Title: Re: Color scheme
Post by: Bill04SD on May 05, 2013, 06:56:57 PM
I used Rustoleum (with hardener added) on a jeep, turned out very well.  For my current project I was thinking of maybe the dark green with the beige/ivory wheels and lettering, but I thought the Rustoleum green seemed a little light.  Another option is the Tractor Supply paint, they even sell a hardener to go with it.  Oliver green....  http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/majicreg%3B-town--country-tractor-truck--implement-1-gal-oliver-green