My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: ranchhopper on April 28, 2013, 06:27:38 PM

Title: carburetion problems
Post by: ranchhopper on April 28, 2013, 06:27:38 PM
I got my 3A running this week it has a carter YF carburetor the jeep starts good I dont even need to choke it but anything past 1/3 throttle it starts to stumble. The jeep runs like when the vacuum line comes off a newer vacuum advance distributor the way it stumbles and wont accelerate past that point. I have never had an older jeep so Im at a stand still until I can figure out what the problem is I know it has the wrong intake manifold on it from a later model jeep one other strange thing when it runs there is a lot of condensation on the riser under the carb it just drips water off of it after running a few minutes any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Title: Re: carburetion problems
Post by: garage gnome on April 28, 2013, 06:40:12 PM
Sounds like the high speed jet is plugged up on it. You'll have to get a carb kit and rebuild it or send it out someplace if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. A member here, scoutpilot, rebuilds WOs. I don't know if he does YFs. These carbs are very easy to rebuild (I think).

BTW, why is the there a hit and miss engine primer cup on your intake? (the brass thing on the right)
Title: Re: carburetion problems
Post by: ranchhopper on April 28, 2013, 06:56:45 PM
I will have someone rebuild it for me thanks for the help I have no idea why thats on there it was there when I bought it.
Title: Re: carburetion problems
Post by: garage gnome on April 28, 2013, 07:10:39 PM
The primer cup appears to be open. Have you tried closing it? You said it sounded like a vacuum leak and that could cause it!  ;)
Title: Re: carburetion problems
Post by: ranchhopper on April 28, 2013, 10:19:53 PM
I will try it but its full of dirt it doesnt look like it could let anything through.