My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: ZekeD on April 02, 2013, 09:54:54 PM

Title: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: ZekeD on April 02, 2013, 09:54:54 PM
Just picked up a used not abused relic......Current color = rust red


ZD
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Comanche_County on April 02, 2013, 10:16:11 PM
http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/restoring_a_harrison_heater.htm
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: ZekeD on April 02, 2013, 10:23:43 PM
Ooooh. Ooooh.   I need a Willys sticker before Im done.....   Tanks
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Ryan_M on April 03, 2013, 05:28:18 AM
I used the silver Rustoleum "Hammered Metal Finish"and then some Rustoleum "Crystal Clear Enamel". It scratches off as well as anything else when you have to wedge the heater up under the dash for install.
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on April 03, 2013, 10:56:16 PM
I just took mine out.....how on earth did they get that thing in there??  

At least the fan works.... I have that same switch as Ryan_M has......
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: garage gnome on April 04, 2013, 07:05:07 AM
I'd like to know too! I had to cut a 1/2" off the ends of the heater core tubes to get mine back in.
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Quebec Jeep on April 04, 2013, 08:30:03 AM
I would say they were more patient back then.  ;)
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Ryan_M on April 04, 2013, 08:31:17 AM
Quote
I just took mine out.....how on earth did they get that thing in there?? �

At least the fan works.... I have that same switch as Ryan_M has......


That switch was recently purchased from Walck's. I damaged the original one in a repair effort (I'm pretty good at that). It is still on the to-do list for some day when I am really bored.

http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1353867229/6#6
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on April 04, 2013, 10:00:09 AM
I'm beginning to to think that I just don't need a heater at all....or I'll cut the core tubes as Nate did before trying to wedge that thing back in........as it was I bent the end of one of the tubes getting it out.
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: garage gnome on April 04, 2013, 10:03:46 AM
You don't want to cut off too much and end up with too short of ends.  ;)
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Ryan_M on April 04, 2013, 10:08:47 AM
I did not have to cut mine at all. Perhaps a PO did but I don't think so. I think it was an original install. I've had it in and out twice now. It's tight but it fits.
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on April 04, 2013, 10:10:17 AM
There just has to be an easier way to get it back in....maybe I'll "practice" a couple of times before I paint it....!
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: garage gnome on April 04, 2013, 10:14:32 AM
Ryan, where did you get that decal?
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Ryan_M on April 04, 2013, 10:16:28 AM
ebay - but i forget the seller's name.
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: garage gnome on April 04, 2013, 10:22:56 AM
Ok, thanks. I knew I had seen them for sale somewhere, but couldn't remember.
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Quebec Jeep on April 04, 2013, 01:14:44 PM
I bought it from him:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190727722482?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Jesse on April 04, 2013, 04:15:05 PM
I really advocate the gold hammered like I think was factory. Thought it would look stupid but it turned out great and everyone comments on it. It may be worth having the core boiled if you haven't, tried using and old one and it never worked but a clean core puts out great heat.

-Jesse
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: Ryan_M on April 04, 2013, 04:32:34 PM
When I "restored" my heater I pulled it all apart and pressure tested the core under water. All seemed good but it leaked immediately upon re-installation.. I took it to a radiator shop and he found two leaks. I ended up just buying a new core.  I also had the motor refurbished by an old school electric motor guy. It now works perfectly and throws a surprising amount of heat.
Title: Re: What color do you paint a harrison heater?????
Post by: maximushuntermus on April 05, 2013, 10:33:52 AM
I too had to put a new core in, I bought one of the stickers on the ebay link provided , thanks for posting that.