My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Mike on April 02, 2013, 01:18:19 PM

Title: Oh happy day...
Post by: Mike on April 02, 2013, 01:18:19 PM
Walck's finally has repo radiator shrouds for my 3A �:) ...been looking on ebay and around town for almost 5 years......just ordered one and I will install probably after the summer....

http://walcks4wd.com/radiator-shroud-side-mount-1950-1964-cj3a-cj3b.html?inf_contact_key=765f484b58607d93e15a24758d8707c395bcabee542c53d842f4917c18127a68

Mike
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: athawk11 on April 02, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the 3A page.

Now, if you would have joined us sooner, ;) you would have found a post from a few months back by Bedrock. He mentions those shrouds.

He found the quality to be 'excellent'.
�
Thanks for the welcome information.

Post some photos of your 3A.

Tim
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: Bedrock on April 02, 2013, 06:42:30 PM
What Tim says is correct. �The quality of the shroud that Walck's offers for the side-mount radiator is outstanding, as is the fit. �I couldn't be happier with mine.



George
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: Kenny_Kustom on April 02, 2013, 08:54:19 PM
I just got mine..

Very nice piece... Too bad someone went and put a 2A rad in my 3A >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: garage gnome on April 02, 2013, 09:04:51 PM
Kenny, that is correct for a '49 3A to have a bottom mount radiator like the 2A uses. �;) See the difference?

(http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/willyscjmj/1949%203A/989a1c25.jpg)

(http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/willyscjmj/1953%20Willys%20CJ3A%20Jeep%20Restoration/3807cd99.jpg)
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: Kenny_Kustom on April 02, 2013, 10:25:36 PM
Mine is a 51. My rad looks like the top, but my engine looks like the bottom. ( although, my air cleaner matches the top)

So, which is which?

The shroud i got doesnt fit.

The brackets on the bottom of my crossmember were added. There is also holes on the grill for the rad to mount to..

My rad only mounted on the bottom and the strut rod to the firewall


This old jeep thing is so confusing.... Working on my yj's and tj's were much easier !!  :P
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: garage gnome on April 03, 2013, 05:51:16 AM
These old jeeps are much easier. You just have to know what you have. Both air cleaners are the same in my two pictures.  ;)

Can you post a picture of your engine bay and we can help you ID stuff?
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: Kenny_Kustom on April 03, 2013, 08:10:53 AM
(http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/kennykustom/51%20CJ3A/17279DF7-1BFB-4E59-B985-BF76CBBB21A0-240-000000838F993E3E.jpg)
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: johnrb3b on April 03, 2013, 08:58:21 AM
Hi Kenny,

One thing to remember when working on one of these old Willys.
If it's been through a few owners, the odds are good it has become, to one extent or another, a Jeep Salad.
Because so many parts were interchangeable between years and models, many of our Willys have acquired parts from other Willys vehicles, not just other CJs.

My '54 3B has an engine, and probably transmission, from a Truck. Serial number is late '53. Most POs weren't very concerned with "year and model correct" repairs. They just used what they could lay hands on cheap.

My buddy John's stake bed Truck is actually a Salad put together with parts from 1951 through the early 1960s. Makes it interesting to find matching parts. Which portion of the Truck do you try to match? :)

It's all part of the fun.
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: Kenny_Kustom on April 03, 2013, 09:32:22 AM
I guess it gets down to what you want to match.

I ordered the correct fan shroud, as the other was home made.

So, do I send back the correct shroud? Or keep the shroud, and order the correct $500 rad.

I ordered the rad. I am trying to bring it back to as stock as I can.
With a few drivability mods.
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: garage gnome on April 03, 2013, 10:02:20 AM
You have a 2A radiator. The grille looks correct for a '51. I see the flanges for the grille mount radiator. You need a shroud for a 2A, which is welded to the radiator and then the shroud extension which gets screwed on the the shroud. I'll take some more detailed pics of my '49 for you. I kow you can get the extension from Walcks. Not sure about the weld-on part.
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: Kenny_Kustom on April 03, 2013, 11:46:35 AM
I have ordered the correct rad from walcks.
I guess I will have a good used 2a rad for sale!
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: garage gnome on April 03, 2013, 01:23:02 PM
Did you get the spacial nut plates and screws for the radiator? Regular nuts and bolts work fine too.
Title: Re: Oh happy day...
Post by: Kenny_Kustom on April 03, 2013, 01:38:06 PM
The nut plates are there.
I have some body bolts that will fit.